Cannot get proxy to work...

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by fannymites, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fannymites

fannymites Registered Member

I've been trying to set up a tor/privoxy/proxomitron combination but cannot connect.
    I first followed instructions here to setup tor and privoxy - http://tor.eff.org/cvs/tor/doc/tor-doc-win32.html
    Everything seemed to be going well and according to a couple of test sites I was not showing my ip address or country of origin.

I then followed these instructions to add proxomitron into the equasion - http://kyeu.hostingzero.com/proxo/f...voxy tor&sid=02d793fb2b6046d816e53cebcc730597

And then read this thread for more tips and firewall settings - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55748

I cannot connect to anything and when I disable the firewall rules, proxomitron are both asking for access to various ports that were already allowed in the rules.

I have no previous experience of proxies so I don't know where I'm going wrong.

2. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

What firewall are you using?

I recommend following my guide by itself. It walks you through the entire process.

3. fannymites

I'm using kerio 2.15.
    Your guide seems very simple and straight forward so i don't know where I'm going wrong here.

4. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

5. fannymites

Well I had made a slight error in my rules which was messing things up.
    It seems to be working ok now in Firefox and IE but I'm not sure how to test it, Shields-up and Sygate firewall tests are both showing the wrong ip adresses and are also showing loads of open ports when they are normally stealth. That means it's working right cos it's not my computer that is being scanned. Also kerio's logs are showing nothing being blocked from those sites as it normally does.
    I was under the impression proxomitron was supposed to block a lot of content and personal info but the sites still know what os I'm using and the firefox user agent.
    Flash isn't working though.

[EDIT] I can't get thunderbird to pick up my mail with the proxy settings, does it not work the same way with email clients?

6. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

You can't use Tor for the POP3/SMTP protocols :(

A good test site: http://www.samair.ru/proxy/proxychecker/results.htm

Proxomitron by default does not include any privacy-maximizing filters. You must add these yourself.

Here's a Header filter to pretend that you're Googlebot:

Code:
    [HTTP headers]
    In = FALSE
    Out = TRUE
    Key = "User-Agent: Spoof Googlebot (Out)"
    Match = "*"
    Replace = "Googlebot/2.1 (+http://www.googlebot.com/bot.html)"
    Or, if you want, one to make you appear as IE 6.0 on Windows XP:

Code:
    [HTTP headers]
    In = FALSE
    Out = TRUE
    Key = "User-Agent: Spoof IE 6.0 on XP (Out)"
    Match = "*"
    Replace = "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)"
    There are more filters out there. You can try some configuration sets. Good ones are Grypen's and Sidki's. Personally, I use Sidki's.

7. fannymites

WOW! I just did an internet spped test and it's gone from my average speed of around 1800kbps to just 104kbps.
    There were plenty of warnings that this stuff slows down the connection but I didn't expect that much slowdown.

8. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

I got this on the speed test:

Your download speed : 67085 bps, or 65 kbps.
    A 8.1 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 41093 bps, or 40 kbps.

I usually get 4785 kbps download and 800 upload. :(

Nice thing about the Proxomitron/Privoxy/Tor setup is that in Proxomitron, you can easily disable the Remote Proxy.

9. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Your traffic is being sent via 3 other systems with multiple levels of encryption and is also having to share bandwidth with all other Tor users - 104kbps is pretty good for a free system that relies on volunteers providing servers and bandwidth. If speed is your main concern then you need to consider one of the commercial services (which have been discussed in other threads here - FindNot seems to be the best of the bunch).

10. fannymites

My last comment wasn't meant to be a putdown of the software. I expected some slowdown, just not as much.
    Speed isn't a concern at the moment really, I'm just experimenting on a secondary windows installation with various security related things such as encryption and proxies etc...
    Now, is it pssible to make this tor/proxomitron/privoxy combination work with yahoo or msn messenger? I read on the jap site that they do not support this because of abuse etc, is it the same with these also?

11. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

For Yahoo/MSN Messenger, you can just set it to use the Tor network directly. To do this, set the Proxy type to Socks and the IP should be 127.0.0.1 and the port should be 9050.

I've tested it with MSN Messenger, and Tor works with it :)

12. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

On JAPs website they say that JAP now works with TOR. I can't find any more info on this. Is this a good idea? Would it be any more secure?

13. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

I have found that running MSN Messenger through Tor Socks Version 5 will also require Messengers HTTP Proxy to be configured i.e. Server 127.0.0.1 Port 8118, running through Privoxy/Tor. Using this method will also filter the unwanted adverts!!;)

14. Carver

Carver Guest

Under Configure then Proxy/firewall check "I am forced to use a proxy". Then fill in tors Listner port and other info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.