cannot find hard drive ??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cristobal, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cristobal

cristobal Registered Member

hello, I'm new here.

when trying to restore an image (I have acronis number eight) of my C-drive to my brand new pc (dell, serial ata HD), acronis tells me it can't find my hard drive! doesn't matter whether I start from within the program on my hard disk, or boot from the rescue cd-rom, message remains the same: no hard drive!

I am very upset about it, because I am afraid my pc got hi-jacked. it acts very weird. so please help me!

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

If that image you have of a C drive is from another computer it will not restore correctly to your new Dell. It would be better to re-install your programs on the Dell .. didn't it come with it's own Windows OS?

If it is the old pc that got hijacked, that is usually a term used when the browser home page has been changed. But other than that the pc functions okay. Maybe you mean something else?

Exactly what do you mean by "acts weird"?

3. cristobal

sorry, I wasn't clear, obviously. I made an image with acronis AFTER tweaking my new dell pc, which had a lot of undesirables, if you see what I mean.

but I already found a [temporary] solution:

installed a trial version of acronis 9, and on restart got this message: 'ata2 disabling port'. ? [so it DOES seem to have something to do with my s-ata HD?]

then things went more or less smoothly, & the image was restored. BUT. now I have another problem: my mouse didn't work! it's a ps2 -> usb connection. luckily I still know how to do things by keyboard! (e.g. check or uncheck with spacebar!)

so before I buy version 9 I would like to know why my mouse doesn't work properly! anyone? tnx!

p.s.: 'acts weird': I am afraid I had a virus or something. e.g.: suddenly my firewall (w-xp) didn't recognise my AVG-antivirus program any more...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

First I think you should clear up whatever is causing it to act weird. The Windows Firewall is only a one way protector. Use something like Zone Alarm instead.

Scan for Viruses and Spyware to see if that cures the "weirdness".

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cristobal,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that USB legacy support is disabled in BIOS settings.

If that does not help, please boot your computer from the bootable rescue media with usbmouse=off parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post (use "usbmouse=off" instead of "acpi=off noapic") and let us know the result.

If that does not help, please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also provide the information about the exact vendor and model of your mouse.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

6. cristobal

hello tatyana:

sorry for not reacting more promptly, but I couldn't find this site again, can you believe it! didn't add it to my favorites, you see :oops:

but meanwhile I found my own solution to the mouse problem: I just connect an old usb-mouse to my pc before starting the rescue-rom, and lo & behold: it works! the pointer flies all over the screen with the tiniest of motions, but never you mind: with a bit of exercise I can guide it to the exact place where I want it to be.

perhaps you can use this tip? your solution, such as going into the bios and changing things there, didn't particularly appeal to me, and I guess many people will agree with me on this. the easier the better, is my motto.

thanks for your trouble, and I will remain loyal to acronis, that's for sure!

kind regards, cristobal -- p.s.: and what about this s-ata business? did that ring a bell over at acronis? and if so, what sort of bell? :D

7. Acronis Support

Hello cristobal,

Please be aware that Acronis True Image 8.0 is an older version and not being updated any more. It therefore might not support some modern hardware such as new SATA controllers for example.

However, the first thing we recommend you to do is to make sure that you use the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your computer from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists with Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 and the program still does not recognize your SATA hard drive then please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Note that since you use an older version of Acronis True Image you should press F11 button when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears and not when the selection screen appears (Acronis True Image 8.0 Bootable Rescue CD does not have a selection screen).

If that does not help either and your SATA hard drive is recognized correctly only in case of using Bootable Rescue CD created with the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 then please visit Acronis online store to purchase the upgrade.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. cristobal

good morning over there!

from your answer I gather that you missed something in an earlier post of mine:

so it was precisely thanks to version 9 that I could recover the image at all! and needless to say that I immediately made a new rescue-rom with trial-version 9 as well!

but do you mean to say that an update of number 8 will also recognise sata drives? that I don't have to buy this new version?

tnx again! CR!Stobal

9. Acronis Support

Hello cristobal,

I meant that updating to the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 might resolve the problem.

In case Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 fails to recognize your SATA hard drive either, please visit Acronis online store to purchase the upgrade to version 9.0 which as I have understood works fine with your particular SATA controller\hard drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.