Cannot Explore My Images

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AngelImage, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AngelImage

AngelImage Registered Member

I have True Image 8.0 normal edition

I am using Windows XP wth SP2. I have v8.0 build 826 which I just downloaded.

I usually cannot assign a drive to explore an image.

Sometimes a logical drive appears to be created and I get a window asking me what I want to do - when I select "explore with windows explorer" the image disappears and I get a message saying it cannot assign a drive letter.

Help!! o_O

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello AngelImage,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please check the image you want to mount with "Check Image" tool. If the image is not corrupted please create a screenshot of the last screen (which contains the "Proceed" button) and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. gefrorenesHerz

gefrorenesHerz Registered Member

Unfortunately i have the same problem on Win2K SP4, when trying to explore an image the computer tells me that he has to reboot because new hardware has been installed.
    No chance by reinstalling, local support here in Germany seems to be somehow slow when replying.
    btw. i have the latest Version of TI, the Images are ok and i tried with disabled AntiVirus and Adware services.

Without the browsing feature TI is useless for me, so i'm thinking about getting refund if a solution is not provided quickly.

4. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Are you sure? Which version? Which build? Which type? Personal, Home, Workstation, Server, Enterprise? Why should we trust you when you say you have the latest?

5. gefrorenesHerz

Certainly i'm sure, i have the Standard Edition Version 8.826, bought it on Friday and installed the File i downloaded from the update section of the website. There is no other as far as i know.
    Maybe a beta version, but it seems to me as if the products sold from Acronis are early betas. Reading the forums I really recogniced more incompatibilities than every other Backup-Tool i ever heard of.
    When i buy a software to prevent my data from getting lost, buying it from 'so called' Experts, it would be really nice when its File-System Capabilities were at least as compatible as the one of the Operation System ships.

Why should i trust Acronis when it obviously is causing problems. I was thinking about order the server edition for the company i'm working, now i think different :eek:

6. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Thanks, that is one of the things I wanted to know. Sadly it was not the answer I had hoped for :( Acronis recently announce a new build of the Enterprise Server version that fixed a similar problem (but not one that causes the PC to reboot when trying to explore the image):
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=463937&postcount=18

I have no solution for your problem. I recommend that you:
    1. Download the Acronis Report.
    2. Create a report.
    3. Download the Acronis Check Image Tool.
    4. Check your image.
    5. Send the report and the outcome of the image check to support@acronis.com, and include a link to this thread in the letter.
    That should get the ball rolling.

7. Acronis Support

Hello gefrorenesHerz,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

When you mount the image and you are asked to reboot the computer because the new hardware is installed you are able to choose not to reboot immediately, aren't you? What happens if you choose this option?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. gefrorenesHerz

That's correct, i have the choice to cancel the Reboot. If i do so, it takes a while til TI tells me that it cannot mount the image.
    I've already sent some Screenshots to support@acronis.com, unfortunately they're in German, therefore i don't know if you're able to interpret them.

Probably the problem has to do something with the device driver(s), i took a look into my Registry, they are both present there, the Acronis TrueImage Backup Archive Explorer as Acronis Device Driver and the Acronis Virtual HDD as Disk Medium, the Enum Sections seems to be created completely and there's no reasonable explanation why the Drive cannot be activated without a reboot.
    If you can give me a list of the Registry Entries Acronis creates on installation and in runtime i can extract it for further investigation, but i see no way to send you the Extract of AcronisReport, as it is collecting confidential data from my system, these are mine and it's the only way.

There's a good chance that the cause of my problem is the same like the one described in the Win2K3 Thread, as newer MS OS do not reboot that often on device installs.

There are also two devices attached to my system under suspect, the one is a HP PSC1350 and the other an Elsa ISDN Office 4 in 1, cannot uninstall the drivers for testing, as both of them are in use frequently and take a lot of time for beeing configured the way i need them.
    A Product like TrueImage should run without hacking my configuration, if it doesn't --> it is crap

9. Acronis Support

Hello gefrorenesHerz,

If you do not receive any response from Acronis Support Team within 48 hours please let me know your Acronis Request # which will be sent to you in autoreply. We will certainly help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

10. gefrorenesHerz

Today i installed a Registry Patch supplied by Acronis Support, which resulted in a non bootable System.

Could restore the Snapshot made with TI, but i think it's better to do a Re-install in order not to lose more partitions (As i wasn't able to test reimaging yet)

Maybe it's more reliable to fix problems on my own :blink:

11. gefrorenesHerz

So now, after installing a plain Windows2000 SP4 without additional drivers (peripheral devs) i have the same problem again, seems as if TI is not clever enough to communicate with an actual VIA Southbridge (K880 Chipset)... May i have my money back? Or will there be a new release that is worth waiting for it within the next days?

12. gefrorenesHerz

Is it possible that TI requires a standard IDE Harddisk attached to the system for adding mounted devices?

I've got only 2 SATA Harddisks running as a hardware mirror, showing up as one SCSI Device

13. gwilki

gwilki Registered Member

I have had a similar problem for a couple of months now, and am still waiting for a Support reply. (I don't get a reboot message, though.) I am using the newest release of the corporate workstation - 1143. I still cannot explore the image. It does not matter if I put the image to my sata disk or my ide disk. Also, I still cannot assign a drive letter to the volume. Whatever I choose in the dropdown list, TI assigns the next drive letter in order.
    I have sent numerous files and screen prints to Support; I've been told that they have sent it to the Development Team for solution. It would appear tha they cannot find the solution.
    You can read more about this problem in another thread on this group about exploring images. You are not alone.

Grant

14. gefrorenesHerz

So, if the developers have the same competence as the supporter who trashed my system with a so called "Registry Patch", it's easy to guess when a solution for the problem will be provided.

Certainly i'll switch to Ghost 9.0 in order to have a solution that is probably not the best, but obviously more reliable, if i would use TI in our Company, it would be just a question of time til my boss considered kickin my ass.

15. Acronis Support

Hello gefrorenesHerz and Grant,

Could you please let me know your Acronis request #? I will find out how the investigation is going. I am sure the fix will be available soon.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

16. gefrorenesHerz

Hi Ilya,

my request ID is #273865
    but after the experience i made with support the last days, i'm in doubt if there will be a solution soon

17. gwilki

gwilki Registered Member

Hi Ilya

Mine is 231509. It was issued first back in April.

Grant

18. citizenDAK

citizenDAK Guest

Is this a "known problem" with TI8? (If so, is it only under certain conditions?)

I also cannot explore an image I just made, on an external firewire HDD. Created it by booting from original TI setup CD. Trying (failing) to explore it with latest update, standard True Image 8.0(826). Check image states that the image is valid.

best regards

19. citizenDAK

citizenDAK Guest

(...continued)
    The exact same image, still on the same external HDD, *CAN* be mounted/explored on a different computer. Hum, I wonder what's different about the two systems...

The successful one is Win2k(SP4) desktop, 1G RAM, lots of free space on C: (43G+), P4 2.8GHz

The failed system is WinXPhome(sp2) laptop, 512M RAM, little free space on C: (hundreds of MB), P-III 1GHz

...My question still stands: any known conditions that'll cause a good image to be un-explorable?

20. citizenDAK

citizenDAK Guest

external HDD details:

mfr: ACOM Data
    model: HD060U2FE-54
    (20Gig, has both FireWire & USB2 connectors... I used the f/w)

21. Acronis Support

Hello gefrorenesHerz,

We will try to reproduce the problem with the fix you found - slow down the System Bus speed from Fast to Normal.

Thank you for your feedback.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

22. Acronis Support

Hello Grant,

I have found your letter and Michael will contact you soon. The investigation was performed by our Development Team and he will provide you with the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

23. Acronis Support

Hello citizenDAK,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Could you please send the screenshots of your actions to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread? We will investigate the problem and provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

24. gwilki

gwilki Registered Member

Thank you, Ilya. Michael sent me an email yesterday with instructions for a couple of registry edits. I've not yet done them, but as soon as I do, I will report back on the results.

Grant

25. Joshua

Joshua Guest

can not explore image

Images created with Acronis Trueimage Server for Windows build 768. Got the "can not assign drive letter" error. So I updated the server to build 826. I still get the same error.
    I did the check image, and it successfully verified.
    The primary server I am trying to explore from is Windows Server 2003 SP1, builds 768 and 826, though I have tried from Windows 2000 Server SP4 with build 768 as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.