cannot erase ie address bar history completly

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by psunder, Mar 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psunder

psunder Registered Member

I have done everything from deleting history, cookies and temp files to using MRU Blaster with all options enabled and I still am having certain adresses "autocompleted" when I type in an address. These addresses are NOT available in the address bar drop-down.... they just simply appear when I type in www. Anyone one have any idea how I can get rid of these?

Pete

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

That's interesting. MRU-Blaster targets most of the locations where these are stored (including the "Typed URLs" area, where many of them come from) and usually the History stores the rest.

See the attached picture - could that be what you are looking for?

Best regards,

-Javacool

Attached Files:

3. psunder

I tried the above method as well..... no luck :oops: Any other ideas?

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi psunder,

Actually, I have had an odd condition where one or two addresses have gotten stuck in the auto-complete in IE 6.0 on my system (Win XP) a couple different times... They couldn't be deleted via auto-complete, history and tif either because they were corrupt (bad format) addresses. (Someone had linked an invalid web address, maybe it was something like http with 3 "/" chrs or something like that, I'm not fully certain right now.)

Turned out that these were being "completed" because they were "stuck" in one of the index.dat files. (I manually delete my various index.dat files - the history and tif ones - by signing on via a second user account on XP, and then they are deletable easily though windows explorer.)

It's just a thought, but, I found that corrupt ones do get stuck in there from time to time, and they certainly get auto completed in the IE address bar.

5. psunder

Thanks for the info, I'll try and see if I can find what you are talking about. Here is one of the web addresses I am having problems with: http://www.491st.org/#

6. psunder

Although I have found several INDEX.DAT files I seem unable to delete them no matter which user I am signed on as..... although I could do it through a command prompt I am worried about screwing something up. Are the following files ok to delete?

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\systemprofile\Local Settings\History\History.IE5

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\systemprofile\Cookies

Thanks!

7. psunder

LowWater, you were right about what the problem was.... thanks for the help. Here is some info and the program I used to fix the problem - http://www.purgeie.com/errcache.htm

Pete

8. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hey, great. That site has a nice explanation of the problem, and provides a solution. Glad you got it fixed. :)

9. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I'm glad to see the problem you had is resolved. :)

I'd like to also add two items:
    1.) MRU-Blaster cleans the index.dat files for the cookie and Temporary Internet Files if you use the Cookie Blaster and IE Temporary Internet File Cleaner plug-ins, respectively. This does require a reboot, but the index.dat files are removed using secure file shredding techniques. (Configuration for both these plug-ins is available through the Settings screen.)
    2.) It is very possible that the next version of MRU-Blaster will include an option to clean the index.dat files without a reboot - stay tuned. :D

Best regards,

-Javacool

10. vivalabogota

vivalabogota Guest

I know spybot S&D clears out usage as well, does this program do the same thing basically?

thanks,
    viva

11. Demian

Demian Guest

thx
    Best regards,

-Javacool[/QUOTE]

12. bryan213

bryan213 Guest

hi, Ive ran blaster mru, history kill, spybot....and I'm on 2000 prof.
    I've tried many programs to try and erase the address bar but nothing seems to work..can anyone think of another way I can try....
    thanks for your help!!

13. bryan213

bryan213 Guest

Nevermind all, I tried PurgeIE on different settings!!! worked like a charm!

14. smug

smug Guest

hi guys

hope this still counts as on-topic:

i have the opposite problem now -the address history keeps clearing itself,without my clearing the history in internet options.

any ideas?

15. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

In the 'General' tab for Internet Options, how many days do you have set to keep history? If you have '0' you won't keep any history.

Failing that there are a couple of things in the 'Advanced' tab you can play with to see if it makes a difference, namely:- 'Use inline AutoComplete' and 'Close unused folders in history and favourites'

16. Pablllo

Pablllo Guest

Thanks a lot, I had the exact same problem and got it all fixed up.

Cheers,

Pab.

17. MikeB

MikeB Guest

In Microsoft Windows X,P clear the following folders after clearing History and Autocomplete: Favorites, Recent and Desktop. Viola! No more strange things in Address Bar and no tweaking the registry!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Response to: I have done everything from deleting history, cookies and temp files to using MRU Blaster with all options enabled and I still am having certain adresses "autocompleted" when I type in an address. These addresses are NOT available in the address bar drop-down.... they just simply appear when I type in www. Anyone one have any idea how I can get rid of these?

Pete

18. agj

agj Guest

thank you purgeie!!!

i had old addresses in the address bar as well and googled this thread. purgeie worked for me as well. i thought i'd never stop seeing www.fender.... whenever i typed something starting with f...

incidently, microsoft help has next to nothing on this, at least i cant find it.

19. Redman171717

Redman171717 Registered Member

Yah i tried PurgeIE and when i go to visited sites and try and delete them it sais problems with url...am i doing something wrong here?

Sean

20. :):):):):)

:):):):):) Guest

OMG THANK YOU GUYS SOO MUCH FOR INTRODUCING ME TO PURGE GOT RID OF HELLA ANNOYING JUNK ON MY ADDRESSS BARRR I AM SOO HAPPY AT THIS MOMENT

21. JS_

JS_ Registered Member

I have the same problem ? Will somebody help me out ? On the AuotComplete, if you unclick it; it wont be there anymore just yet if you check it, it will appears again.

22. SpeedyT

SpeedyT Registered Member

I found that you can do this to makit work! Just go to Internet tools, General, and click the clear history. I found that out all on my own!:thumb: :D !

23. leo79

leo79 Registered Member

Yes, deleting the "index.dat" file that was in the coockies folder did the trick! [I actually deleted all index.dat files found] It isnt easy to do so. But vivalabogota (thanks) is right Spybot S&D can do it. Use the shreder in the advanced features .

24. sumguyinjeans

sumguyinjeans Registered Member

I tried using purgeIE, it worked well. I had tried a number of other utilities and none of them worked. Thanks all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.