Cannot disable PG or add application

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by see2look, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. see2look

see2look Registered Member

Help! I cannot disable PG from the main menu or add and application via the protection menu. If I try to add a program I get the following error.

Attached Files:

2. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

Running 3.150 ?
    How big is your existing protection list ?

3. see2look

see2look Registered Member

That is the answer! The protection list had 256 items in it. As soon as I deleted a few applications, I could now add a new application for protection. If the max size of the list is 256 entries, that should be stated some where in the processguard documentation. The error message that I got is totally misleading since there is no real problem. How about a 256 max item list error message that states the problem! Are there anymore unstated limitations concerning processguard and its' operation, that you are anyone else here know about? Please let us know and I for one will be forever grateful for the information. How about this in the processguard Q&A!

4. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

You certainly have quite a few programs ... :). Not too many people have reached this limit, but we'll certainly try to expand that limit for the next update to ProcessGuard. In the meantime, when you get a spare moment go through the list and remove some of the items that you rarely run/won't run again.

Best regards,
    Wayne

5. Hexaguano

Hexaguano Registered Member

Does this 256 limit only apply to the "Protection" list ?
    Is there a limit on the number of entries in the "Security" list too ?

6. Vanguard

Vanguard Registered Member

Did this ever get addressed? I just downloaded PG and it is the same version as mentioned here which means it has had no updates since then. I don't know why DCS thinks 256 is some rare and oversized count of processes to secure. Although not answered, I suspect the 256 limit applies to both the protected list and the security list. My protected list is nowhere near 256 items so it would be a long time before I hit that limit (i.e., it isn't necessary to protect a lot of processes). However, my security list is already over 150 so the remainder count is shrinking - and I've only been using PG for 2 days! Since I'm using the same version as noted in this thread and it is the latest version then this has been a long-time lingering deficiency.

7. steverio

steverio Registered Member

I don't think so...268 on Security List and climbing! :)

8. Vanguard

Vanguard Registered Member

Since DCS didn't come back after Hexaguano's question and since it was so long ago, it was unclear if the limit was the same for both lists. I only have 44 items, so far, on the Protection list so it will be awhile until I hit the 256-item limit (but it does seem a small list). A LOT more items get listed in the Security list because obviously not everything that gets loaded will also be protected.

Thanks for the reply.

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I don't think a LOT more get listed in Security than in Protection. I have 200 in Security and 161 in Protection.

10. steverio

steverio Registered Member

To add to my 268 in the SL, I have 83 in the PL...quite a difference here.

11. Gavin - DiamondCS

The security list is unlimited as far as I remember :) no hard limit set.

12. VisiThink

VisiThink Registered Member

I am having issues with the latest PG3.2 beta 3 in this area as well.

The limit of 256 applications seems quite small to me.

I tried to add a new application today and received the following message box:

http://www.users.qwest.net/~eginc/Images/PG32B3Error.JPG

Also, I use a Toshiba Laptop, and noticed that no matter what I do, I can not run the Toshiba Power Management application (which uses global hooks and a device driver) with any version of Process Guard installed. Even with protection disabled it does not work. I have to uninstall PG before I am able to use the power management features. Any chance this will be fixed soon?

13. Gavin - DiamondCS

Please send the Toshiba driver(s) and the application itself to support - straight off your machine if you can identify them easily.. that would be very handy. Are you using the latest driver ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.