cannot create an image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cd151, Aug 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cd151

cd151 Registered Member

Hi,
    I just downloaded and installed True Image 8.0 (build 763) last night and cannot make an image of anything. I keep getting an error message saying the drive is in use or has bad sectors on it. I ran chkdsk /f and it all comes up clean. Anyone have any suggestions?

cd151

2. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

What OS, what file system, drives, etc., etc.

In the meantime (while you are collecting data about your system) try uninstalling (completely!) TI and then reinstalling it. That does work in a lot of cases.

Chkdsk DOES NOT find all, so a clean bill of health from that program does not necessarily make for an error free drive (especially free space!). Additionally, run Chkdsk with the /r switch (requires a reboot), much more exhaustive than /f and also does free space. Do ALL of your partitions if you have more than 1. *puppy*

3. cd151

cd151 Registered Member

Sorry, I am running XP Pro with NTSF, I have a main hard drive (Maxtor 120 GB) two Western Digital 80 GB hard drives. Both western Digital drives have 2 partitions each (roughly cut in half). This is a system I built back in December. 2.6 GZ P4, MSI mobo 875 chipset, 512 MB Kingston RAM, Radeon 9600 128 MB video card, Sound Blaster audiology 2 ZS.

I will try to uninstall and reinstalling it. When you say "completely", What does that mean exactly? (ie do I need to edit the registry?)

cd151

4. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

You may have to but if so it would be just to delete all of the Acronis/TrueImage keys. Usually just getting rid of all traces we can see does the job (deleting the Acronis\TrueImage folders under Program Files).

If you haven't already done so the uninstall/reinstall would be first then a thorough Chkdsk run against all of your partitions just to insure that you do have error free drives. Maxtor has an excellent diag/utility (PowerMax) that you can download from their site and do an advanced scan (entire surface). I'm sure WD has the same but I don't know what it would be called.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.