Cannot create a Bootable Rescue Boot CD - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by billmail1, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dukias

dukias Guest

When I goto create bootable media my choices are floppy and memory stick even though I have CDR, DVD R/RW and so forth and so on. Why don't the devices showup? Thanks

2. Double R

Double R Guest

I too have this same problem and have tried all the suggestions here but to no avail - any other ideas! I can write an image to the cd/dvd drive but can't create a rescue cdr/cdrw or dvdrw. windows 98se

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Double R,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If you cannot create Acronis bootable CD please make sure you are using a blank unformatted CD-R or CD-RW disc, as other types of media cannot be used to create a bootable rescue CD.

Update any third-party CD-writing software installed on the computer to the latest version available for free on the respective web-site.

Also please try the following workaround:

* Eject any disc from the CD burner prior to starting the application;
    * Proceed until the program asks for a disc and opens the tray;
    * Insert a disc and then click OK to close the tray automatically.

If the problem remains please contact us.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

4. Acronis Support

Hello dukias,

Please note that Acronis Bootable Media can be created only on a Floppy Disk Drive, CD or USB memory key. For the USB option, the USB memory key should be bootable and the system it is used on must be able to be booted from an USB device.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Double R,

Please confirm whether or not you do have the same problem as dukias i.e. no CD/DVD recorder displayed in the "Removable Disk Drive Selection" window. If that's the case then it's something more fundamental than inserting an unformatted CD-R/CD RW disk, updating your recording software or allowing TI to close your recorder's drawer.

Note by the way that TI doesn't allow you to create the bootable rescue media onto DVD (either R or RW).

Regards

6. billmail1

billmail1 Guest

Just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to make the bootable disk using a CD-R. I was also able to image my hard drive to a second internal hard drive and DVDs (quick formatting wouldn't work so I did a complete format of each DVD prior to creating the image and it worked fine) so I SHOULD be "good to go". Problem is that I'm extremely hesitant to try it. It took me over 4 hours to restore my original hard drive with Windows XP, all of the security updates, hardware drivers and program data. I've tried re-booting the PC using the rescue CD and it works fine. I know I need to make sure that the TI backup will work but if, for whatever reason, the TI restore doesn't work I'll probably throw the PC out the window.

I guess I'll just have to "take the plunge" and try it.

7. Acronis Support

Hello billmail1,

If you verify the image archive by means of the Check Image tool and the image is fine, also if you can boot from Acronis bootable CD and it recognizes your drive correctly, then you will restore your image without problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

8. xshaun3

xshaun3 Guest

Just wont to know if the issue of not recognizing a cd drive when confronted with a list to write a bootable recovery disk to has been solved. I have a laptop with a seperate external cd writer drive connected by Firewire but this does not get picked up when having an option to write a bootable disk. In fact because it does not also have a floppy , it tells me there is nothing to write a bootable disk to.

Any solutions?

9. Acronis Support

Hello xshaun3,

You cannot create Acronis Bootable CD, am I correct? If yes, please send the letter (with the order number or e-mail that you used to make a purchase) to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread and please indicate in the subject that you want to contact Irina Shirokova.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

10. billmail1

billmail1 Guest

Irina,

I verified the TI image using the Check Image tool last night with no problems. I can also boot from Acronis bootable CD and it recognizes my drive so I feel much more confident about using TI but, since I haven't actually tried the TI image to restore my HD I'm going to wait for the weekend to do this just in case something goes wrong.

Thanks!!!

11. KLund1

KLund1 Guest

Hi,
    I'm also have the trouble of not being able to "create a bootable rescue cd"
    The accrual message reads "Eror burning the bootable CD-R/CD-RW"
    I have followed the suggestions in this thread: Let TI ask for the cd. The error message appears while cd the cd door in closing/opening. It occurs when the door is about 1/2 closed, or 1/2 opening. It depends on weather I have the door open or closed at the beginning of this process. I have unchecked the "enable Digital CD audio for this CD-ROM Device". The Cd is blank, fresh off the spinal. I have not used safe mode to create a bootable cd. I should not have too. I am using TI 8.0, build 903 (not enterprise version), with a Plextor 716a internal drive; firmware up-to-date, and Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.0 basic. This is all from a clean reinstall of Win xp sp2. But I have also installed all my other applications, office, ISP, zone alarm, antivirus, anti spyware, printer, scanner, and digital camera software. While I'm writing this, I am burning a DVD full image back up of my C: drive.... Just finished 3.2 gigs in 6 minutes. So, the drive appears to work on a full back up, but not a boot cd.
    Any further suggestions for burning a boot cd?
    KLund@aol.com

12. Acronis Support

Hello KLund1,

First of all, please download and install the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please also try to create Bootabe Rescue CD in Windows Safe Mode.

If the problem still persists after installing the update then please do as Irina suggested in her previous post with the only one exclusion: indicate that you want to contact Alexey Popov.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

13. woward

woward Registered Member

I got to this party late but am having a similar problem creating a Boot CD. I just built a new computer using an ASUS motherboard, Intel Pentium D 830 chip and two NEC ND3540A DVD-RW drives. Early in the software install process I installed TrueImage 8.0 and successfully created a boot CD and made a successful image backup to a single DVD. The file size did not require spanning more than one DVD. I can Explore that image fine.

Today I tried to create another image to DVD, this time one requiring spanning to a second DVD disk. It appeared to work but the first DVD was unreadable when done. The second, smaller portion of the image on the second DVD is readable and can be Explored. I began a search for a solution and found my way to this forum.

Following the advice here, I upgraded TrueImage 8.0 with build 937 and tried to create a new boot CD (I previously successfully created a boot CD with the earlier build of TI). When I try to create the boot CD, I get the message “ERROR Burning the Bootable CD-R/CD-RW”. I’ve tried all the tricks suggested here including booting WinXP in Safe Mode, waiting to insert a CD until TI asks for it, etc. etc. If I try to wait until TI asks for the CD, after clicking on the “Proceed” button, TI pauses then opens the CD drive drawer then gives the error even before I insert any media. I’m using Roxio 7.5 and am not having any other problems reading or writing CD’s. I get the error with both CD drives.

Any thoughts on what to do next?

Bill

14. Menorcaman

Hello Bill,

As you are using Roxio burning software, I assume that the associated Roxio packet writing application (Drag-To-Disk) is also installed and running in the background. In which case, temporaraly disable Roxio Drag-To-Disk and try creating the bootable rescue CD again.

If that doesn't work you can try disabling Windows XP's built-in CD/DVD recording feature. Open "My Computer", right click on your CD/DVD recorder and select "Properties". Select the "Recording" tab and uncheck the "Enable CD recording on this drive" tickbox.

Regards

15. kLund1

kLund1 Guest

To: Alexey Popov - Arconis

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give your instructions a try and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again;
    KLund1

16. Fred Roosli

Fred Roosli Registered Member

Same problem here - tried the "old tip" as well as booting in safe mode. No cake. I have a plain vanilla Dell Notebook running XP. I can write to cd's and dvd's but I cannot for the life of me create a bootable rescue disk. Plus each time it fails, I am creating another coaster.

Fred

17. Fred Roosli

Fred Roosli Registered Member

One more item. I downloaded with the link you provided Version 8 (build 903) on August 29th.

This is what you list on your website as the current version as of August 9th:

Acronis True Image 8.0 937 August 9, 2005 24.7 Mb

Do I need to upgrade already?

Fred

18. woward

woward Registered Member

Menorcaman:

I tried both suggestions: 1) disabling Drag-to-Disk and 2) disabling the Windows CD writing property in My Computer. Neither did any good: I still get the Error message when I click the Proceed button in the "Create Boot CD" dialogue. Any other suggestions on how to create a boot CD?

Thanks,

Bill

19. Menorcaman

Hi again Bill,

From your post at #38 above:
    You must open the drawer yourself and insert the blank CD-R or CD+/-RW prior to clicking the "Proceed" button otherwise you will always get that error message. You can then either leave the drawer open and click "Proceed" to let TI close the drawer automatically or, if that doesn't help, close the drawer manually, wait for the recorder's activity light to stop flashing and then click "Proceed". If, after all that, you still cann't create a boot rescue CD then you could try uninstalling build 937 and reinstalling it.

Other than that I can only suggest you contact support@acronis.com and provide them with full details of the problem and the workarounds you've tried to date.

Regards

20. woward

woward Registered Member

Menorcaman:

Thanks for this latest tip. It worked... Guess I did not understand the peculiar nature of TI's CD writing routine.

Now if I could only create images to DVD's that span more than one DVD...

Bill

21. GeoMEM

GeoMEM Registered Member

Hi

Also a newbie to Acronis and been trying to create a bootable rescue CD. Like others in this thread I got the can't write error message. This happened to both CD-R and CD-RW (haven't even considered DVDs). However, the suggestion to use Safe mode worked.
    I use Win 2K SP4 at present. I have Ahead Nero installed.

I'm about to buy the system (seems amazingly good value for it's price) but would like to know if Arcanis plan to fix the bug in the software that causes this problem? So that the Bootable Rescue Media Builder does "what is says on the box" (as we say in the UK). Although Safe mode works it a real pain in the **** to replace ALL the moved desktop icons everytime.

So, Arconis, when can we expect a fix to get this working as closely to 100% of the time under Windows normal mode?

GeoMEM

22. Acronis Support

Hello all,

If none of the suggested workarounds helps then please send a letter containing the information about your purchase of Acronis True Image 8.0 (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, etc.) to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

23. megood1

megood1 Registered Member

Well Gentlemen, I just got TI 8 build 937 and I'm have the same problem. I can not let the program close the drive because I have a laptop and I have to manual close the drive. So how do I get around this little problem? This sounds like a big bug in the program. Dones Acronis have a fix in the works for this? Thanks for any help.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.