Cannot create a Bootable Rescue Boot CD - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by billmail1, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billmail1

billmail1 Guest

I just received Acronis True Image, downloaded the latest version and am trying to make a Recovery CD. I have used CD-/+R, CD-RW, DVD-/+R - all formatted using Roxio. Everytime I'm prompted to insert a burnable media to my DVD-RW drive and start the burn process, I get the following error message "ERROR BURNING THE BOOTABLE CD-R/CD-RW". I've been able to make images of my hard drive using the same burner but cannot make the Bootable CD. What am I doing wrong?? Can anyone help??

2. storage_man

storage_man Registered Member

You don't need to format the disks to build a recovery CD. Erase the disks with either ROXIO or NERO. Before you request to build a recovery disk, make sure your CD-RW dirive is ready and loaded with a blank CD-R/RW.

Storage_man

3. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Yup - just use a plain unused unformatted CDR (or CD-RW) and you're away.

4. billmail1

billmail1 Guest

That worked!!! I placed an unformatted CD-RW into the burner before starting the "create" process and everything worked great. Now I have my bootable CD. However, after doing it successfully with a CD-RW, I tried the exact same thing with a blank CD-R and received the same burn error message. Does this mean that a Bootable Recovery disk can only be made with a CD-RW?

By the way, thanks very much for the quick response and assistance. This software is new to me and I still some things to learn.

5. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

You can just use your burn program to COPY the good bootable CD-RW to a blank CD-R.

6. billmail1

billmail1 Guest

Yep - that also worked. Seems like a much easier way to get everything done.

Thaks!!!

7. PaulB2005

I've made a few Rescue CDs with CDRs.

What Brand CDR are you using?

8. billmail1

billmail1 Guest

Memorex and Sony. CD-RWs (of the same brands) work fine - CD-/+R's won't work. I also tried imaging everything to my hard drive (which worked perfectly) but, using Roxio, I cannot burn the hard drive image to DVDs. Roxio is indicating that the image will span 3 DVDs but it stops the burning after the first one. I have two DVD burners (one internal and one external) and both work great. I know I'm doing something wrong - just don't know what it is.

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello billmail1,

If not already done, have a read of <Acronis True Image FAQ #20>. As advised there, when using the two-step method, the image needs to be split whilst it's being created to the hard drive. Acronis recommends you enter a split size of 2000MB and then burn up to 2 of the .tib files per DVD. This is o.k. but does waste a fair bit of space on the DVD. Better to enter a size of 1490MB (see screenshot below) and then subsequently burn up to a maximum of 3 .tib files per DVD-ROM(ISO) compilation.

Regards

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello billmail1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

What was the size of the image when you stored it to the hard drive? Wha t was the error message you got when burning image to DVD? Please note that you need to use UDF formatted DVD disks as described at our site to store the image to DVD. As for Acronis Bootable CD creation, could you please clarify whether you tried to use blank unformatted CDs? Also could you please tell what you mean by "CD-/+R"? Are you trying to create Acronis Bootable Media on DVD?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

11. Menorcaman

Hi Ilya,

I think we need to make it clear that UDF formatting only applies in the case of direct imaging to DVD, not the two-step method currently being used by billmail1.

Kind regards
    Tom

12. Acronis Support

Hello Menorcaman,

If I am not mistaken we are talking about the one-step method now? Otherwise, why should be the problem with writing three DVDs instead of one?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

13. billmail1

billmail1 Guest

I apologize if there is any confusion. Hopefully this will make some sense:

The image I copied to my hard drive was 24.3GB with about 9GB of actual data. That was not a problem. I just couldn't get it burned to formatted and unformatted CDs or DVDs.

The error message I get whenever I try to burn an image to CD is "Error Burning the Bootable CD-R/CD-RW". I did not get this error when I subsequently tried using a non-formatted CD-RW as recommended by PaulB2005. I was able to create the bootable disk using that method.

I formatted a DVD-R and DVD+R using Roxio. Both failed to burn the image and I received the above error message.

Yes, I tried using unformatted CDs - again received the error message.

Ilya - sorry. I meant to say CD-R and CD+R.

I will try the procedure described by Menorcaman to scan multiple DVDs using Roxio. Maybe that will work. I guess what has me the most frustrated is the fact that, for whatever reason, I cannot image to anything but a CD-RW. According to everything I've read so far, I should be able to image to any external media. I would prefer to burn direcly from the original drive to an external media rather than save it to another hard drive first. In any event, that process isn't working for me either. My wife can't believe how frustrated I am right now. I'm not even close to be a computer whiz but most software is not this much of a challenge. Aggghhhh...!

I do want to thank everyone for their assistance. This is a very responsive, professional and understanding forum.

14. PaulB2005

No such things as a CD+R. Only CD-R.

15. Menorcaman

Hello Ilya,

Umm, I didn't think so. According to the info provided by Billmail1
    I assumed he was attempting to burn the image he had previously created to his hard drive to DVD i.e. the "two-step" method. Unless of course he meant he couldn't burn an image of his hard drive direct to DVD :doubt: .

Perhaps, after reading the Acronis Online FAQ linked above, Billmail1 could confirm whether he was using the "direct burn" or the "two-step" method at the time. Obviously, any solutions offered here would very much depend on his answer.

Kind regards
    Tom

Last edited: Jul 1, 2005
  16. Acronis Support

Hello billmail1,

Sorry for not understanding but could you please describe exactly the process you use to create the image onto DVDs? Do you store the image to the hard drive first and then burn it to DVDs? Or do you choose DVD drive as a storage place when you create the image?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

17. billmail1

billmail1 Guest

During my first attempt, I selected my DVD burner as the destination drive and DVD as the storage media. As soon as I was instructed to insert the media and tried to start the burn, I immediately received the burn error message. In fact, the burn process wouldn't start at all. The error message displayed immediately. I then formatted the DVD and tried again - same error message. I used both DVD+R and DVD-R with the same results. Switching to CDs gave me the same failed results. I then tried the two-step method by copied the image to my second internal hard drive. the copy worked fine. But when I tried to use Roxio to burn the image on the second drive to either DVD or CD, I received the same error message. I'm probably doing something wrong when using the Roxio program (as suggested by Menorcaman). I will try splitting the original image into multiple 4GB files and then burning those to DVD using the external DVD burner. Hopefully, that will work. I just cannot burn the image of my original hard drive directly to DVD or CD using the one-step method.

By the way, after reading many of these posts, I can't believe some people are not happy with TI's tech support. Ilya has been extremely helpful and shows genuine concern by offering assistance and suggestions. This is also one of the most responsive and professional forums I've ever had the pleasure of participating in. No bashing - no humiliation - just honest help from many educated people. I am very pleased with all of this support and will be a lot happier once I figure out what I'm doing wrong.

18. Menorcaman

Hi again Billmail1,

Thanks for the clarification. You certainly appear to have more than your fair share of problems recording to optical media!! Firstly you couldn't create a bootable rescue CD, either to CD-R or CD-RW (and you also tried DVD+/-R, although that was never going to work in any case). You have now managed to create the boot CD but only to CD-RW, not CD-R.

If you feel so inclined, try creating another boot rescue CD-R but this time after booting into Windows "Safe" mode (press F8 whilst Windows is loading).

If that doesn't work try this old tip:

- Eject any disc from the burner prior to starting the program
    - Proceed until the program asks for a disc
    - Insert a blank disc but do not close the tray
    - Click "Proceed" to close the tray automatically and start the recording process

If you do try either or both of the above, please post back to let us know how you got on.

You later advised that you are also unable to create TI images to either CD or DVD, both directly from TI or via the indirect, two-step, method. However, this is an entirely different problem to that originally posted and takes this Thread way off topic. I honestly feel you would stand a better chance of obtaining more meaningful help with this if you started a separate new Thread. I, and I'm sure other users, would be happy to pick it up again there. Can do?

Regards

Last edited: Jul 1, 2005
  19. Acronis Support

Hello billmail1,

Thank you for the clarification.

In contrast with Menorcaman (the first time I suppose :)) I would not recommend that you start the new thread since it looks like the problem is with burning to CDs (and DVDs) in general rather than in some particular cases.

Did you try to burn the image as a whole to DVD using Roxio? The problem then may be resulted from the fact that the image was larger than DVD capacity. Could you please create the image and store it to the hard drive but choose to split the image while creation to parts less than 4Gb (actually, the recommended size is 2Gb) and then try to burn them to DVDs? Could you please describe what CD burning software (besides Roxio) is installed on your computer and what operating system you have?

Could you please clarify what error you get when you burn the image in two steps using Roxio?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

20. billmail1

billmail1 Guest

Ilya,

Menorcaman: I will try that exact procedure as soon as I leave the office. I understand that the problems associated with using Roxio are not really a TI issue that should be discussed in this forum. I'm just trying to provide as much as possibe to help with my problem. I will definitely try the procedure of letting the DVD burner drawer pull the disk in by itself. I'll try anything at this point.

Ilya: I shouldn't have any problems with Roxio once I make an image of my main hard drive onto my secondary hard drive but break the image in multiple files (2GB as you suggested). Roxio is the only burning software I have loaded onto my PC. I do have a copy of Nero Ultra but have not loaded it or used it yet.

So far, I have been able to make the bootable recovery disk using an unformatted CD-RW so at least I'm part way there :).

Thanks again!!!

21. Menorcaman

Hi Billmail1,

No problem at all with using the Acronis True Image forum to discuss your problems. It's just that this thread is titled "Cannot create a Bootable Rescue Boot CD" and we seem to have branched out to encompass imaging to CD/DVD as well. I just thought it might be better to start a new Acronis True Image thread to separate, what I felt, were two different issues. Anyway, no matter, Ilya is happy for both problems to be covered under this one thread as he believes there may be a common link so who am I to argue with the "Boss" :D

Regards

22. Acronis Support

Hello billmail1,

Could you please try to store the image to DVD-RW or DVD+RW (instead of DVD+R)? Will this approach work? In your first thread you mentioned that you were able to create images to CD-Rs and CD-RWs, am I right? What error do you get when you try to create the image to DVD? Also please let us know what operating system you have and the number of build of Acronis True Image you use?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

23. billmail1

billmail1 Guest

Ilya,

Unfortunately, my PC crashed before I had a chance to do any further experimenting. Tonight, after I spend about 4 hours restoring the hard drive, I will try to use TI again. Please bear with me and see if I have this process straight: I will use an unformatted CD-R to burn the bootable recovery disk. Assuming this is successful, I will then image a copy of the restored hard drive (2 partitions - one is 6GB and the other is 230GB) onto a formatted DVD-R or DVD-RW using TI (no third-party burning software installed and disabling the Windows CD recording software) and using a fixed size of 2GB . Assuming that works, I will also make the same image on my 2nd internal HD (300GB) to cover all bases. Do I have these procedures correct?? It will be very late tonight when I get the hard drive restored and I really need to get TI working correctly so I will not have to go through this restoring nightmare anymore.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!!!

24. Menorcaman

Perhaps you can save some time. Did you manage to create an image of the hard drive before it crashed, either to a second HD or DVDV? if so, boot from the rescue CD that you managed to create earlier, use the Check Image wizard to verify the image isn't corrupt and restore the image. If you haven't got a serviceable boot rescue CD then do a bare Windows install and just install True Image. Run TI and proceed to restore the image from within Windows. After the necessary parameters have been entered you will be prompted to allow TI to reboot your computer. TI will then reboot into the Linux recovery mode where you then need to repeat the process of restoring the image to your primary, active system drive.

Four things:

(a) Make sure you create an image of your whole hard drive by ticking the checkbox next to the disk that you are imaging (see screenshot below).
    (b) Don't use DVD-R.
    (c) You will at least have to have your Roxio UDF packet writing software (Direct CD/Drag-to-Disk?) installed and running in order to be able to preformat the DVD-RW and image direct from TI
    (d) No need (nor is it possible) to set a fixed size. When imaging direct to DVD you will not be presented with the option to split the image manually. When the first disk is full, TI will prompt you to insert the next preformatted DVD (make sure you have sufficient preformatted DVDs to hand!!). After inserting any DVD click "Proceed" or "OK" to allow TI to close your DVD recorder's drawer automatically.

Regards

Attached Files:

25. billmail1

billmail1 Guest

Thanks very much for the step-by-step instructions. I was unable to create an image of my HD before it crashed so I was up until 1:30 AM restoring it. I was hoping to get TI working yesterday to avoid this exact scenario. As soon as I get home from work this afternoon, I will do exactly as you instructed and keep my fingers crossed. I'll post results.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your patience and time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.