Cannot copy Music properly

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mystique, Aug 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystique

Mystique Registered Member

Hi all.

I am sure I am not the only one here that loves playing around with music. :D

I use my laptop as my own personal jukebox :cool:. By that I mean I like to copy music from my CDs directly onto my laptop. That way I am able to categorize and personalize my music, play tracks in whatever way and order I like, create all sorts of playlists and just generally play around with the tracks without having to change CDs every few second.

I've been using Windows Media Player ( 9 series, version 9.00.00.3008 ) with no problem until a few weeks or so ago. When I clicked copy music as usual, I noticed a definite slowness with the copying but it did copy eventually. When I played it though, boy did I get a surprise! It did copy the music but only as a background. I could hear myself singing along with it as Windows Media Player copied my voice too, as well as the other background noises :eek: . It was as if it was copying not from the inside but from the outside.

Has anyone had the same problem?

Thanking you in advance,
    Mystique

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I noticed that this thread has been getting nothing but blank stares since it was posted. Thought that you could use some help.

Can you reproduce this problem? If so, could you please post the exact steps that you took to reproduce it?

3. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Mystique, sounds like a bug. i'm using the 2980 build and i'm not having the problem. next time you copy remember to MUTE the mic and rip silently. i noticed that some players have trouble playing the new VBR WMA files. i generally use Audiograbber and Musicmatch Jukebox for ripping. try Audiograbber with LAME, its the best and free.

4. Mystique

Thank you Close Hauled,

It is probabaly coz no one has encountered this problem yet :eek:. It is no major problem as such but it does baffle me. I use MSN Media Player to copy my music CDs onto my harddrive to build a music library. I have been doing that pretty well until a few weeks ago when it just started to copy music coming from the outside (my voice, background noises as well as the actual track I was copying). Like instead of copying the music from internally, it is copying it from externally.

Oh and when you say reproduce, do you mean if I can repeat the problem and enumerate the steps? Sorry, I am only learning all these tech lingo still. :doubt:

Dear AMRX,

Thank you for your reply.

The Line In setting is already muted when I copy but I am still getting background noise :( and all the WMA files that I rip are the standard WMA files that I have copied usually. I have not heard of Audiograbber, I will do a search and see what I can find.

Oh and BTW, Is the 2980 a newer or older version of WMP?

I guess I will have to dig more deeper into this. I will do more research and see what I find.

Thanks AMRX :)

Mystique

5. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Mystique, i'm sorry for my silly stupid mistake. i meant your microphone when i said line-in. yes 2980 build is older than your 3008 build. WMA gives good compression over MP3 but you get get more quality from MP3Pro or OGG. you can get Audiograbber from http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net and download the latest OGG encoder library from www.rarewares.com. this dude called john33 compiles some fast libraries. if you don't have MP3Pro player or Musicmatch Jukebox then don't go for it. OGG is supported by Winamp and the official OGG decoder can act as a player too.

6. Close_Hauled

Mystique;

Yes, I meant enumerate (A good choice of word Mystique. Efficient, to the point. Should have used it myself.), step by step.

Also, I agree with AMRX. I use Musicmatch Jukebox Pro for my CD collection. It is a lot easier to use for this than WMP.

Close Hauled

7. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Well, my windows media player is an OEM version meaning it's supplied through my computer manufacturer. The OEM version is build 3075. I haven't had a single problem with it.

8. Vaudeville

Vaudeville Registered Member

I use a free downloadable program called CDex to copy my music from CD to the hard drive. It copies them as .mp3 files aslo, which is very convenient.

9. Mystique

Sorry for the late reply.

AMRX,

Pease don't be sorry :D . You did no such mistake. It may have been me that misunderstood you. Thing is we humans have got such a diverse choice of words, (not least computer lingo ) to choose from we end up confusing ourselves ( well I do anyway :D ). I don't use MP3 and I don't have any knowledge of OGG :( . I suppose I better start thinking of MP3 if I want better quality. I will take a look at the Audiograbber link you gave me thank you so much for that. But what is really bugging me though is I can't get rid of the background noise WMP insists on copying as well as the original track :doubt: . I really feel that it is only a simple problem. I keep racking my brains to remind myself what settings I have changed but I thank you all the same :)

Close Hauled,

Thanks for clarifying :) , at least I know now for next time when someone asks me to reproduce my problem. I am not a very technical person you see, I am only learning. As for the steps, I think I have already more or less described above what problem I got ( am trying hard not to embarass myself sounding like a broken machine hehe... :D ) I will check out Musicmatch Jukebox Pro. BTW is that a free program? I'm thinking everything that has a pro on has got a price tag on it :eek: .

Nadirah,

Thanks. What does OEM stand for?

Vaudeville,

Thanks. I will check CDex out. The idea that it can also copy CDs as mp3 files sounds interesting and good.

Thanks all,
    Mystique

10. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

It's simple,
    OEM= Original Equipment Manufacturer

11. Mystique

Well in that case, mine is an OEM too as my WMP came supplied through my pc manufacturer as well. I have updated it though to the version that it is now.

Thanks for that :) .

12. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Mystique, thanks for those words. no it was a mistake, line-in and microphone are different. well as you're having background noise it seems that during the recording process somehow the microphone feed is also recorded. turning off the line-in and microphone or everything which can record your voice should do the trick. oh one more thing, WMA has better quality than MP3 when you compare the size. but MP3Pro and OGG are better than WMA specially OGG in terms of quality. depends though on a lot of things but i'm keeping it simple. use Audiograbber as its way better than CDex and WMP. if you want to know more about OGG then go to this link http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/

sorry Vaudeville, CDex used to be good but now Albert seems to be busy and no one is updating or fixing those pesky bugs. Audiograbber is much much better than CDex.

13. Close_Hauled

MusicMatch Jukebox is free, Pro is not. I use Pro for the sound leveling because I mix songs from many different CD's. The sound level from the different CD's is never the same. The sound leveler makes them the same.

Close Hauled

14. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Close_Hauled, i liked Audiograbber's normalizer better than Musicmatch. the thing i liked about Musicmatch is the inclusion of industrial strength encoders from Fraunhofer, Thomson and Coding Technologies. also the included Xaudio engine is better than all. as far as i know there is another media player which bundles a slight older BETA version of Fraunhofer encoder, Phoenix, but its very buggy.

15. Mystique

Thank you AMRX and Close_Hauled for all the info and help. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.