Cannot Convert FAT32 to NTFS

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Jonny_G, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonny_G

Jonny_G Registered Member

I installed a new Maxtor 120Gb disk. Copied the old disk using Acronis Drive image, ok so far. I thought it was time to have all the file formats the same
    (NTFS), as I had been using windows ME from another partition. But I have found that DD9 518 does not allow me to convert from FAT32 to NTFS.
    Partitions are PRI(NTFS 3Gb)PRI(NTFS 3Gb) Logical(FAT32 7Gb) Logical(FAT32 7Gb)

I have re-installed the program.

2. Spectrum

Spectrum Registered Member

I am also interested to know whether this software supports Fat32 to NTFS conversion. I'm interested in buying this product but only when it can do this type of conversion. This is possible in Partition Magic so why not in Disk Director Suite? When will this feature be included?

3. GeeeAus

GeeeAus Registered Member

Disk Director 9 certainly should allow you to change partition types in the manner you'd like. It sounds to me that there may be some integrity issues with the data on your drive, or more specifically in the partition table.

It is of course possible that you are experiencing some issues with the current build that will be rectified in builds to come.

The PC is such a lovely and controlled platform with so few players...... NOT!

But it is nonetheless a frustrating thing when software has issues.

A few things you can try to help you eliminate possibilities.

A. Verify the integrity or your restored partitions using: chkdsk with the /r option. This will check data and media integrity. A bad sector in the partition table may get in the way of conversion.

Syntax: chkdsk <drive letter> /r

B. If you still have the source HDD which you imaged initially, perhaps running scandisk would be another way of ensuring the source data and drive are O.K.

You know computers -- garbage in -- garbage out..... :)

Syntax: scandisk <drive letter> /autofix /surface

Lastly if all this checks out O.K. then try using the convert tool in Win2k and XP. It can change NTFS to FAT / FAT32 and vice versa. Of course if you change from NTFS to FAT / FAT32 then you'll lose any permissions on files in the drive.

For what you're seeking to do I think this is what you'd type.

Syntax: convert <drive Letter> /fs:NTFS /v

For each partition or logical drive requiring conversion

If the above works then it shows Acronis Disk Director has compatibility issues with your system or data structure. While not ideal as you've paid the money to Acronis for a tool that should work; it will convert the drive to the format you desire.

Hope this helps you some.

Regards

GeeeAus
    Australia :blink:

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

try this

Attached Files:

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, bigc73542

Glad to see you know how to use your command Prompts BigC.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

6. Spectrum

Spectrum Registered Member

I know how to use the command prompt to convert but it would be good if Disk Director Suite could do this within WinXP. I assume (?) that FAT 16 -> 32 conversion is done in DDS without rebooting so it would be good to be able to convert to NTFS in the same way.

7. Jonny_G

I don't need to go through these steps, because I have used "Paragon Partition manager 5.6" to create and convert a FAT32 to NTFS partition on the drive, so it must be ok. When I try the same thing with DDS it cannot do it, or it was not designed to do it. So I suppose I need someone to try the same operation on their drive. Create a small FAT32 partition and convert it to NTFS.
    Regards Jonny_G

8. GeeeAus

GeeeAus Registered Member

Sorry I couldn't be of more help Johnny.

I hope you find a solution soon

Regards

GeeeAus
    .au

9. Jonny_G

It would appear that DD9 is not able to convert FAT32 to NTFS without data loss. Quote from e-mail
    Hello Acronis. I just need to confirm that DD9 can convert FAT32 to
    > NTFS file system. I can't get it to do it and I don't see that a claim is
    > made in the manual for this operation. If you can let me know I would
    > appreciate it. My operating system is Windows XP Home and Windows
    > ME"
    Unfortunately Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 cannot conver FAT32 to NTFS withou deleting the data."(all typos left in)"

So there we have it. we will have to wait for version 10 :mad:

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Director Suite (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/).

I just want to confirm that the current version of Acronis Disk Director Suite doesn't have function to convert FAT32 -> NTFS. However, this function is already included into our Enhancement List and also our developers will try to implement NTFS -> FAT32 convertion operation in future versions of Acronis Disk Director Suite.

Thank you.

11. Jonny_G

Can you please tell us what is on the enhancement list, and when it is going to be actioned. Is any note taken of the wishlist on this forum?

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jonny,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis products (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/).

The Enhancement List includes all the enhancements proposed by our customers and by our Marketing Team. Then the manager of the product (for instance, the manager of Acronis Disk Director Suite) reviews this list and discuss the enhancements with our Development Team. After that he creates the list of features for the next version of the product and our Development Team starts working on it.

The next version of Acronis Disk Director Suite will definitely support merging partitions function and FAT32 <-> NTFS convertion.

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.