Cannot connect to Internet when running XP SP2 and LnS

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Defenestration, Aug 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

After installing a slipstreamed version of XP Home SP2 and LnS I couldn't connect to the internet. To be more precise, AOL connected and LnS showed I was connected, but I couldn't access the internet (either by browser or SMTP e-mail). As soon as I disabled LnS I had no trouble connecting to the internet. When I enabled it again, I could not connect :'(

I have tried disabling the Windows Firewall but that didn't help.

Are there any known conflicts/problems with XP SP2 and LnS ?

Has anyone else experienced problems connecting to the Internet when running LnS and XP SP2 ?

Any suggestions ?

2. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

3. Defenestration

Thanks for the info. Look like that might be the problem.

They haven't released the patch on the website yet because their might be other problems. You have to e-mail them to get it which is what I've done.

From what I've read, the patch works for people who were having similar problems.

Is anyone running Lns with XP SP2 ?

4. JimBob2000

JimBob2000 Registered Member

I've been running LNS with xp/sp2 for 4 days now and the only problem I have encountered is with Spy Sweeper installed. (well, some sites load slower with IE than with Firefox) Windows Explorer keeps ending when you right click on a file with Spy Sweeper 3.0 installed even if not set to prevent anything. Just used to scan. Uninstalled Spy Sweeper 3.0 and Explorer is ok.

5. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

I have tried SP2 and no pb noticed with Look'n'Stop.
    There is incompatibilities with many other softwares anyway, check the list above.

gkweb.

6. Defenestration

LnS is now (sort of) working (not exactly sure why though) although my system is a bit unstable. The instability is either due to the browser I'm using (Avant Browser), or it's down to letting LnS start on system startup.

The system locks up when I right-click a link in Avant (sometimes the first time, sometimes after a few goes). Firefox works OK. While this might indicate a problem with Avant, the system did not lock up when I had LnS disabled.

I'm gonna different configurations to see if I can determine what's causing the problem. Let you know of my results.

JimBob2000 & gkweb - Are you starting LnS as a service or as a normal app ?

7. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

to answer you, I tried both.
    Check teh list of incompatibilities above, there is many softwares for which when you right click there is a lot of troubles.
    On my side checked with IE and FireFox.

regards,

gkweb.

8. JimBob2000

JimBob2000 Registered Member

I'm starting LnS as a service. I can't remember any specifics, but I remember reading on other forums about having problems with right click on SP2, but not related to LnS to the best of my knowledge. My right click problem went away with the removal of Spy Sweeper 3.0. I had the same problem on my old computer and on the new one I got last week. When I uninstalled Spy Sweeper 3.0 the problem disappeared. Something weird tho, on my old computer, I reinstalled Spy Sweeper 3.0 later and did not have any problems. Haven't tried to reinstall on my new one.

9. rays

rays Guest

i installed xp sp2 twice and had the connectivity problems both times. it is really frustrating. it took me more than 1 hour to install each time and once the system rebooted, i couldnt connect to the internet. i called my isp and they suggested that i uninstall the service pack and wait for the new patch from microsoft. huh funny.... now i have uninstalled it again and am back on the net but would like to have SP2 on my computer asap. I checked the hotfix page from microsoft but the patch is not available there. Any help would be appreciated.

10. Defenestration

I think I've solved the problem I was having with right-click causing the system to hang. SP2 has made my graphics card driver a bit unstable which was sometimes causing the system to freeze when fading menus in/out. After disabling the fade in/out of menus I have not experienced any problems since with my system feezing on right-click...... yet!

Hi rays,

When trying to fix the problems I was having connecting to the Internet through LnS I tried several things:

1) Disabling the Windows Firewall and trying to connect. (Don't think this was the problem because I now use both LnS and the Windows Firewall together.)

2) Enabling the Windows Firewall, but disabling (ie. closing) LnS and then connecting to the Internet. After you have connected (assuming you can connect) try starting LnS again and then try to surf some pages on the web (to check that the connection works)

3) Disabling the auto-start feature of LnS, and then enabling LnS before you connect to the Internet.

4) Try starting LnS as a service.

5) Pray

To be honest I'm still not sure why it started working again, but I don't have any problems connecting now (whether it was auto-started through the registry or as I now have it, auto-starting as a service).

11. tech

tech Guest

Also there is a problem with the antiviruses expecially norton internet security, just a suggestion from a tech.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.