cannot boot up vista using Acronis 10 home

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by splinterinfinger, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. splinterinfinger

splinterinfinger Registered Member

Hi. My intention is to clone my 160gb disc in my laptop and replace with a 320gb drive. I duly transferred everything from the 160 gig over to the 320gig and burnt a bootable cd. I installed the new drive in the laptop and was told to put in the bootable cd and press any key. This i did but nothing happened. I copied another cd and a flash drive but none of these worked. Any ideas please.

2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

When performing the clone, how did you connect to the 320GB drive? Did you perform the clone from your installed ATI, or from ATI's boot disk?

Aaron

Edit: Aside from my questions, I recall that ATI v10 had some Vista issues which were fixed in v11.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  3. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

splinterinfinger,
    Are you sure Vista is supported by v10? Assuming it really is, what do you mean by "transfered everything" - how? I'm confused about what you wrote.

Perhaps CD is flawed. You burned the bootable Acronis.ISO image, right? Left the filename intact, right?
    While the system still has the old OS on it, open the tray, turn off the computer. Put CD in tray. Turn on the computer. Did it boot to Acronis?
    If no, stop reading. CD is flawed.
    If yes, you can remove the CD, exit now and login to Windows normally.

While I'm not familiar with cloning, never used it, I did exchange one drive for another in the laptop, on XP, so perhaps this'll help. Oh, also v10 chapter13 is worth reading.
    Do you have an external drive to which you can image the current drive?
    If no, stop reading this.
    Otherwise, this sort of procedure worked for me (followed Acronis instructions)
    Make an image, not clone, to the external drive, validate the image to make sure it's ok. Best if AV is off and you're disconnected from the internet just to keep things quiet while image is running.
    Erase everything on that clone drive you have. You can do a quick format. I can't recall actually, I think Acronis can format it for you during recovery.
    Now open the CD tray and leave it open. Turn off the laptop.
    Replace internal drive by the 320g drive.
    Place CD in the tray and close it.
    Turn on the external drive where the image is so Acronis can see it as you boot.
    Turn on the computer. It should boot to Acronis, select Full version so the USB devices and mouse work.
    Select source to recover from (your image), it may have a funny drive letter, unlikely C, 'cause it's Linux.
    Follow the prompts about size of partitions etc. It's all described in ch.13.
    It should work. But I may have skipped a step here or there, because I did it long ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.