Cannot boot from Rescue Cd - Recovery Mgr Hangs

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Steve Leonard, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Leonard

Steve Leonard Registered Member

I recently purchased Acronis True Image Home 11 and created a clone of my hard drive. I also created a bootable rescue CD but when I boot from it, it gives me a menu with 3 options 1 Run True Image Home, 2 Run Drive Cleaner, 3 Load Windows.

I select 1 to load Acronis -it says Acronis loading please wait - then a screen comes up with "Tools" and "Pick a Task" selections,but everything is frozen. No mouse movements are detected - the cursor is frozen,and no key combos work - nothing like Alt H for Help, any of the function keys, in fact I hit every key and it just stays frozen.

I then remembered that the original CD from the retail package is bootable, so I tried booting from it and got the exact same results. I emailed Acronis and they pointed me to an ISO image which I downloaded and burned to a CD.

When I boot from this CD, I get a character screen that kernel.dat is loading and that ramdisk.dat is loading followed by several periods as it loads.

It then goes directly into the screen with "tools" and "Pick a task" not showing the the screen with the 3 options as described above. But this also hangs.

I searched for other posts and saw references to getting to the Linux command line with F11 and typing quiet acpi=off nopic
    but pressing F11 does not bring me to a Linux Prompt.

Can anyone help?
    Thanks in advance.

steve

PS I email detailed specs about my system in response to the original Tech Support Request from Acronis but no reply now in about a week.

Their last suggestion was to ask if I was using a usb mouse or kbd - no I am not. But what I did was to unplug all my usb devices and try booting from the Linux based ISO CD and still had the same results - the recover manager just hangs.
    My system is a 3 month old HP AMD 64X2 with WinXP sP2 (It came with Vista which I deleted since several older programs would not work under Vista).

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Steve Leonard,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out the reason for delay. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. Steve Leonard

The number is 1310270.

I last replied on Feb 11.

Thank you.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Steve Leonard,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please be aware that a reply was already sent to you. Please try checking your spam folders.

Please notice that the iso image that was sent to you should be burnt to CD by means of the special software as described here and here.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. Steve Leonard

Hello Marat,

The email that was sent to me was received, and I DID follow the instructions to create a CD from the ISO image. The system still hangs as described in my emails and this post.

However, I did try the CD on another WinXP machine, and it DID boot successfully. I went back and also tried the other 2 Resuce CD's I created from within True Image Home 11, and they booted. Finally, I tried booting from the original factory CD that the product camer on, and that also booted.

So now we have successful boots from 4 different "rescue CDs), on another machine, on which True Image Home was never installed. I don't know if the fact that the machine that hangs already has its MBR altered by Acronis, and trying to boot from the CD confuses it,or is there something about this specific machine that causes it to hang?

MY entire intention was to clone my hard drive - all partitions, to an external hard drive (which your product has done for me) and then have confidence that I could clone it back to a new, replacement, hard drive, and have my environment back in the event of a hard drive crash.

The only way I can simulate this is to first disconnect my present bootable hard drive, and then see if I can boot from the CDs and read the external USB drive. To thoroughly test this scenario, I would need a new hard drive large enough to receive the cloned copy of my external drive. I don't know how long it will be before I have this opportunity.

Meanwhile, can you think of any reason why booting from the 4 CD's all freeze on my machine, but all run fine on another machine?

Thank you for your assistance.

- Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.