Cannot boot from ATI Rescue CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by forestgreen, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forestgreen

forestgreen Registered Member

Hello,
    i am new to this forum and therefore i will add a short introduction of myself:
    I am 48 years old, live in Germany and have been a licensed and happy user of Acronis products (True Image) for several years.
    My current version is 10.0 and I have updated to the latest available build already. But neither that nor the Acronis user support could solve my problem: on my brand new notebook, TI cannot detect my HDD when booting from the rescue CD in "full" mode. When I try to boot in "protected" mode, the hdd is there, but then again I can of course not access my ext. USB disk where I am storing the backups.
    The same thing has worked properly for years on my 5 year old desktop pc, but on the new machine nothing helps.
    I run Vista home premium on the laptop and everything works fine.
    It looks like the drivers on the rescue CD for the hdd or the hdd controller (S-ATA, ahci) are not working together with my hardware.
    I have downloaded the latest drivers from the laptop manufacturer (MEDION) already, but how can I make them available in the ATI boot CD?
    Would be great if anyone here could give me an idea if the problem can be solved and how?
    Thanks and have a nice day.
    Best regards from Munich, Bavaria, Germany
    Christian

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. forestgreen

It's me again. Here is some additional info about my hdd controller:
    It is called "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller".
    The drive seems to be a "WDC WD32 00BEVT-22ZCT SCSI Disk Device".
    This info I have taken from the Win Device Manager.

Any Ideas?

3. como

como Registered Member

I have just had a similar experience in that my TI 11 boot disk could only see my external drives on my new computer. Support did give me a link to an iso but that will not load at all. Support stated that as version 11 is not supported anymore they cannot provide any further iso’s for it.

I do have BartPE and VistaPE disks which I made on my old XP computer with IDE drives using mustangs plugins, despite this both load ok and see all my drives including the sata drives in my new computer.

Therefore I suggest you either download the trial of version 12 or make a Bart or VistaPE disk. For information on how to do this search for any post by mustang and visit his website, I believe that mudcrab also has an illustrated guide to making a VistaPE disk based on mustangs guide as well.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Como has given you the answer. Your version of TI is too old and doesn't support your new hardware.

The TI rescue CD is Linux and you cannot add drivers to it.

You could build the Bart or Vista PE disk and add your drivers to it if necessary.

5. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

Good advice here.

Just follow the advice from Como and Seekforever and you will be sorted out.

6. forestgreen

Thanks for your good advice. I already made a plan, what to check out next:

1. Download TI 2009 Trial and make a bootable rescue disk with that. If that works, I will simply purchase the latest version of TI.

2. Give BartPE a try (I already found good hints for doing so in this forum, -> how to include the TI Plug-in / will my WinXP-SP2 installation CD be ok for that?)

3. If this does not work, try VistaPE as a solution (can I include TI plug-in here as well? / will my OEM Vista version work when building VistaPE?)

I'll keep you posted which of the above is working with my new hardware.

Best regards
    from Munich/Bavaria
    Christian

7. forestgreen

OK, the first item on my list gave really a disappointing result: the bootable rescue disc created with the TI2009 trial download version could not boot my PC either :'(
    I could not even see any error message on the screen, after the ATI message the screen went black and stayed like this forever. After a minute or so the CD drive fell quiet and nothing happened any more...

Hence, ATI have not yet solved the problem.

So I will have to find a solution by myself, following the steps 2 and 3, as you recommended - I'll keep you posted which of the above is working with my laptop hardware.

Best regards and Merry Christmas!
    from Munich/Bavaria
    Christian

8. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

It could be that the boot disk does not have the write drivers as discussed above. Or it could be simpler than that.

Does the boot disk work in any other pc?
    If it does then the BIOS settings in your main pc need changing.
    If the boot disk does not work in any other pc set to boot from a cd then its the cd that is the problem.

Can you view the contents of the cd using Explorer?

9. como

como Registered Member

As jehosophat suggests, if possible try the cd on another computer with cd boot set from the bios first.
    I prefer the Vista CD as it seems to load faster, for information on what you need see my post above.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

forestgreen, if you still experience the issue with Acronis Booting rescue media (version Acronis True Image Home 2009), I may recommend you to use our Live Chat service here in order to receive immediate support.

Thank you.

__

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.