Cannot backup to networked Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 2osdeen, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2osdeen

2osdeen Registered Member

Hello,
    I'm having a problem backing up one of our church client computers to a USB networked hard drive, located on another computer (a server computer). When I attempt the backup I get an error message of:

semaphore timeout error
    possible bad media

What happens is that True Image begins the backup process, eventually goes to 2% done, stays there for a while and then produces the error message.

I use the "Net Use" command to gain shared access to the USB drive from the client machine. And I can copy to, and erase data from, that drive, while on the client machine. So, it does not appear to be a network connectivity problem.

Any help on this problem is greatly appreciated.
    2sodeen

2. tradican

tradican Registered Member

I get that same error when trying to backup a large amount of data. I have TI on 10 PCs going to a single backup server. All of the PCs backup to the server EXCEPT the one that has 65GB of data (the others are about 5-15GB).

I don't know if that is the culprit, or just coincidence yet. I just installed the new build (3666) and hope that might solve the problem. I am attempting the new backup as I'm typing.

I will post my results.

3. tradican

tradican Registered Member

Sorry. My solution didn't work. I got the same error message. I think I will just settle for the file backup option (instead of the whole disk backup) for this particular machine.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello 2osdeen and tradican,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (3666) of Acronis True Image which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site.

Could you please reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon?

Please also create Windows System Information of your server where network share drive connected as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also create the bootable resuce media with the latest build and try to create an image in rescue mode.

If the problem persists in rescue mode, please boot the computer from Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears;

- After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button, choose "Full Version" and wait for # prompt to appear;

- Issue the following commands:

asamba dhcp -n
    asamba masters

- Write down the output after each of the commands or use a digital camera to make a shots of the output screens;

- Insert a diskette in a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands;

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    cat /proc/net/dev > mntdir/net.txt
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

- Collect the net.txt and sysinfo.txt files from the diskette.

Please also note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt and net.txt files are not readable from under Windows. In this case please try entering the file names using capital letters (SYSINFO.TXT, NET.TXT) or follow the instructions provided in this previous post.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive.

Please also describe your network structure in more detail.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. 2osdeen

2osdeen Registered Member

This is just a status update for this formum. Two (2) of the suggestions/fixes suggested by Acronis Support worked. They are:

1. Use the rescue media CD to backup to the networked USB drive

2. Use a special, test build of True Image, provided by Acronis

I provided more detail on the nature of the backup failure and (perhaps based on that) Acronis posted a special build. Because the special build worked, I presume that Acronis now knows what the problem was and will have a fix in the next build release of True Image.
    2sodeen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.