Cannot Assign a Drive Letter to a USB Flash Stick Partition.

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by RETierney, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RETierney

RETierney Registered Member

I have a 16Gb USB flash stick that I wish to make bootable for my laptop which is running Windows 7. I further wish to create a small primary partition to hold the recovery files needed to boot and then create a second partition encompassing the remainder of the stick. The second partition will be used to install portable apps.

I successfully used "Paragon Partition Manager 11 Personal" to create a 2Gb NTFS primary partition and it is assigned drive letter G:. The second partition is NTSF, Inactive and Primary.

The problem is that I cannot assign a drive letter to the second partition. Partition Manager goes through all of the steps, but it forces a reboot and after the reboot the partition does not have a drive letter assigned to it.

The flash stick shows up in Windows 7 Disk Management, but if I try to do anything with the second partition I get an error.

I would appreciate any and all help. Thank you...

2. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

You can't assign a letter to second partition of USB-flash. Windows supports at most one partition on removable media.

3. RETierney

RETierney Registered Member

I was afraid it would be some sort of windows limitation. Oh well, it's not critical. Thank you very much...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.