Cannot Assign a Drive Letter to a USB Flash Stick Partition.

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by RETierney, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RETierney

RETierney Registered Member

I have a 16Gb USB flash stick that I wish to make bootable for my laptop which is running Windows 7. I further wish to create a small primary partition to hold the recovery files needed to boot and then create a second partition encompassing the remainder of the stick. The second partition will be used to install portable apps.

I successfully used "Paragon Partition Manager 11 Personal" to create a 2Gb NTFS primary partition and it is assigned drive letter G:. The second partition is NTSF, Inactive and Primary.

The problem is that I cannot assign a drive letter to the second partition. Partition Manager goes through all of the steps, but it forces a reboot and after the reboot the partition does not have a drive letter assigned to it.

The flash stick shows up in Windows 7 Disk Management, but if I try to do anything with the second partition I get an error.

I would appreciate any and all help. Thank you...
  2. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

You can't assign a letter to second partition of USB-flash. Windows supports at most one partition on removable media.
  3. RETierney

RETierney Registered Member

I was afraid it would be some sort of windows limitation. Oh well, it's not critical. Thank you very much...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.