Cannot Access External Drive When Restoring Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by juckjones, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juckjones

juckjones Registered Member

I have a Compaq Presario V3617tu with Windows XP Pro installed. I backed up my C: drive with Acronis True Image v9 to an external drive.

When I tested restoring the image after reboot (as instructed by Acronis) the program said it couldn't find the external drive where the saved image of C: drive is.

Is this an issue concerning SATA drivers?

How do I solve this?

2. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

You have to hook up external drive FIRST ,then bring up Acronis otherwise Acronis won't 'see it'.

3. juckjones

The external drive was already connected to my lappy when I rebooted for Acronis to run in DOS mode preparatory to restoring image.

4. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

Did you check the device manager to see if its on there?

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You said DOS, do you mean running ATI in SAFE mode from the BootCD or in Full mode (which is Linux)? The diff is the DOS mode won't see any USB drives unless your BIOS directly supports them. The Linux mode works better on some machines than others and would indicate deeper probs.

6. juckjones

Ok, here's the story:

1. I right click on the backup image of my drive C which is stored on an external
    drive (USB).

2 I click restore and Acronis opens up and after several dialogues it says I must
    reboot so as to access my C drive.

3. I reboot and Acronis interface loads up (before Windows XP) and continue but
    it can't locate (see) the external drive where my backup image is.

Thanks for any help, please.

7. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Try making the bootable Rescue CD from the installed True Image software. Then boot with it and see if it sees the external.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello juckjones,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.