Cannot access drive faillure on C:\

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by HarryPutnam, Dec 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HarryPutnam

HarryPutnam Registered Member

Acronis*True*Image*Home® version 9.0 (build*3,854)
    Windows XP sp/2

I've started getting an error since last usage about 1 mnth ago saying:

===
    E00070021: Cannot access drive.

Cannot create the image of the logical drive C: because it is currently in use by running applications or the logical drive contains bad sectors.
    ===

I checked for bad sectors and found none. Apparently something is installed that is blocking acronis. C:\ is always in use by running applications so not much help there.

Further, I get the same error regardless of what drive I try to back up.

I do have a program installed called DiskAccess that keeps disks fraged continuously. I did turn the service off but see the error anyway.

Before I start Uninstalling stuff or trying to turn off more stuff can anyone offer a more fruitfull way to debug this? Something that will at least give more informative errors?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Interesting service. My drives get fragged by themselves, but I suppose a program could do it more effectively. :)
    Try booting from the Recovery CD and doing a backup. That way none of the Windows services or applications are running, but any disk errors would be discovered.

3. HarryPutnam

Like most people you automatically assume everyone wants stuff to run fast.
    I didn't want to give my real name here for fear of people pestering me for autographs and such but I'm Bill Slowski. I still work for Comcast right now but have some nice prospects coming up.

Unless disks are thoroughly fragged, applications run TOO fast. Can't even think before jobs are done... I give thanks daily to the authors of DiskAccess.

You might think I'd like to frag them myself since it would take mnths to get that nice even level of fragging but some things can be TOO slow, even for me and DiskAccess can do it in a few days....

Done and no error. But like I mentioned there were no disk problems. So back to my original quest for a way to debug this that is a little more scientific than just turning off or uninstalling whatever seems likely.

Is there no way to squeeze a more detailed error message out of acronis? It would be really handy to capture the name of offending application

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Wow. I am impressed. We are not worthy. Never heard of you.... should I have ?

You clearly have a screw loose.

F.

5. jmk94903

Hey Foghorne, Harry's just joking in return because I started it.

He has a very good and serious question in how to determine what program or service is preventing TI from running under Windows.

Since the backup works without error from the Recovery CD, one of his Windows apps is the culprit. So, how does he find out which one short of uninstalling them one at a time, etc.

I'd be suspicious of the disk defragmenter, and I'd look for an option to turn it off without having to uninstall it as a place to start.

6. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Sorry if I missed it - I should read more carefully. I should have guessed by the misspelling of "Slawski"

Well I would have just run Process Monitor (which is free),

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/processmonitor.mspx

and switched off registry and process/thread activity to leave File System Activity showing. But whether that is a joke or not I'll leave to Harry to find out ;)

F.

7. jmk94903

That's a good way to attack the problem. TaskManager doesn't have an option to turn off the registry and process/thread activity, so it's hard to tell what is involving files. That's what Harry should use.

8. HarryPutnam

Maybe I shouldn't have tried to be quite so clever
    Its ok though you can still get my autograph..

OK OK, I think I get it... It was a joke and you really meant pro-cesspool Monitor.

Ahhhh maybe I ought not try the clever bit again...
    Thanks for the tip!

Oh, I've been calling the suspect blocking app by the wrong name. It is diskKeeper not diskAccess

For jmk94903 's info. As posted in original post I did turn off the the DiskKeeper service but got the same message. Since then I've completely uninstalled it but again still get the same message.

Maybe I'll figure it out with Foghorns suggestion.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello HarryPutnam,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive, install unpacked MSI package and see if the problem persists.

If the issue persists, please do the following:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;

- Reproduce the issue and collect the log file;

- Get the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please make a screen shot of the Device Tree application the way described in this previous post of mine. Also create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.