Cannot access Boot Manager

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by DickK, Aug 17, 2015.

1. DickK

DickK Registered Member

I have Hard Disk Manager 14 and Windows 7. I used to use Boot Manager to keep a Windows XP partition available, but deleted that some time ago. So although Boot Manager appears to have a partition on my disk drive and is the only active partition, it does not activate during boot to give me an OS choice. I am now looking to install Windows 10 into the partition previously used by XP. However when I select "Boot Manager" from the "Tools" tab of the HDM's start screen, I get a error window: "Hard Disk Manager", "Operation failed", "Failed to start selected task \..\bmw\bmw.exe". It is possible that this stopped working when I got new hardware which did not support Windows XP and transferred my system from my old ATA drive to a new SATA drive. I did a complete reinstall then including installing HDM from the distribution files.

2. CasperWeb

CasperWeb Registered Member

my problem is the same.
    you find a solution?

3. DickK

DickK Registered Member

No solution found. I abandoned attempts to upgrade to Windows 10. It is possible that I could have backed up; then deleted all disk partitions, reinstalled Windows 7; upgraded to 10; reinstalled all applications and restored all data. Windows 10 did not seem to give enough benefits to justify time spent doing this, especially as I use Media Center regularly and would have had to install an alternative.

4. DickK

DickK Registered Member

Now solved! Step 1: Backup whole drive and prepare Hard Disk Manger recovery boot CDs. Step 2: Delete the small boot partition. After which, as expected system will not boot. Step 3: Run all available Boot repair options from HDM boot CDs. Still won't boot. May be a necessary prerequisite to make next step work or may be unnecessary. I have no way of knowing. Step 4: Run Repair option from Windows 7 installation DVD. It then booted. Step 5: Backup whole drive again. Step 6: Run Windows 10 upgrade. This eventually worked, though it took several hours during which it appeared to have stalled several times.. Note: I now use SichboPVR to replace Media Centre.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.