Can you tell me if this is overkill?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fred128, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

How would you change any of these in order to make a better security combination?

1. AVIRA FREE-real time
    2. ZONEALARM SECURITY SUITE-real time (virus off)
    3. AVG ANTI SPYWARE-on demand
    4. SUPER ANTI SPYWARE-on demand
    5. BHO DEMON-on demand
    6. CYBERHAWK-real time
    7. SANDBOXIE-real time
    8. SPYWARE GUARD-real time
    9. SPYWARE BLASTER-real time
    10. SPYBOT-on demand
    11. ADAWARE-free and on demand
    12. AROVAX ANTI SPYWARE-on demand

Thanks for any input.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Seriously, what kind of attack are you possibly expecting?? :doubt: That setup is useing way to much resources for more protection than you need. You can cut the list down and still be protected with out all of the overlap. Just do a little searching on the forum and you can find some good setups to use as a guide.

3. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Its ok :-his hd is prob full of anti-malware software so nothing to attack!

4. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

Thanks for the help but which ones would you keep? Which ones would you eliminate or replace?

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I don't use any of those programs but I would drop Arovax, Adaware and Zonealarm plus AVG. I would replace the ZA with Comodo firewall. That would be a good start IMO.

6. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Why not just run a suite ? Like Avira, it comes highly recommended and your already using the free av version, the suite comes with adware/spyware capability and would run alot lighter on your system, then all those different point solutions.

7. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Firewall
    AntiVir
    Sandboxie

And for the overkill touch, one of the Anti-Spywares

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

First I would replace ZASS with Comodo. That in itself would speed up your pc. You already have the AV disabled, so I would install NOD32 AV. It's low on resources and really nice. Definitely keep SpywareBlaster. It doesn't scan, it just sits there and blocks. Ad-Aware has been good to me, and I'd keep that. AVG 7.5 is light on resources, and I keep it running. Works for me. Other than that, I would keep one more of your choice and dump the rest. You don't need them. :D

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Generally speaking I would say that anytime you find yourself asking "is this too much?", then take inventory of what you have and what it does and find solutions to consolidate. Knowing what each does is going to be important, because if you're getting alerts and you don't know what they mean or how it could relate to your system's security, then it's not going to do you any good at all. If something alerts you to a hook and asks you to make a decision, you'll need to be able to tell the difference between a legitimate hook and a malicious one, even when both are from the same legitimate process.

You would be a lot better off with one or two simple apps that you fully understand than a huge pile of apps that you don't.

10. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Unless you work for the pentagon, it is a bit of overkill. If you have a quality av, firewall, and hips, your system should be good with one or two on-demand spyware scanners. I question the value of real-time antispyware scanners, and believe a good av is more effective. Love Javacool but I have my doubts about spywareguard, However, spywareblaster is a must. If you want to really go nuts on security, try Dynamic Security Agent. It doesn't let anything start without your approval, including updates and downloads.

11. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

Definately a overkill. I would just go for one av , one firewall, one antispyware(optional), one hips(optional).With available options antivir personal(antivirus), zonealarm (firewall+HIPS+cache cleaner), adaware(antispyware) and other on demand ones. Personally, i would never install so many security programs at the same time because it will definately cause my pc to suffocate :ouch:.

12. RuntimeWare

RuntimeWare Registered Member

Whoa that's a lot of realtime protection...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.