Can you solve this?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by AaLF, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

I have a 6 yr old generic PC with XP. I no longer have the CD for hardware drivers. So I now use Reviversoft Driver finder. Trouble is its a long time between full reinstalls so i have forgotten how to fix my problem.

Once the program identifies & installs missing drivers XP all is fine except it will no longer shut down.

So now its your turn. What now?

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I'll be happy to help you, but I need some more information.

Does your PC normally shut down fine, and only have issues after installing the new drivers? Also, is it an ongoing issue, e.g. after you've updated the drivers will the computer never shut down?

3. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Hey Roger, thanks for jumping in. It happens when I format & install XP3 from CD.

The PC swims along like a dream until I load motherboard drivers. At least I think its a driver at fault. I downloaded drivers from a software scanner (lazy) and afterwards the no shutdown happens.

Today I googled and found these drivers http://drivers-source.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/gigabyte-ga-945gcm-s2l-motherboard.html

Each folder has its own install/setup icon. Do I just install over the top of what's installed? Any rules to follow b4 i begin?

4. roger_m

5. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Can't seem to get it going. Pop up says "please wait for DL program"

6. roger_m

You will need to open the link in Internet Explorer.

7. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Done. Result > 'no drivers need updating'.

Now what? Must be a program? But I've installed too much too quick. I'll never find it.

What to do? Uninstall every program 1x1 & reboot?

8. roger_m

Go to Start Menu -> Run or press Windows key + R and then type in devmgmt.msc then press enter to open Device Manager. Although this shouldn't be the cause of your problem, are there entries with an exclamation mark?

9. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Rog, I have followed up so many webpages & still the restart wont restart. Shutdown is swift & smooth.

NetBios, Dr. Watson & start run command checkers. no go. All that's left is Avast & DefenseWall. Its an odd one.

10. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Personally I never use tools to auto anything if I can help it.

What has always worked for me is to know what hardware I have, and know where to get the drivers. Most times I get drivers from the manufacturer (like nVidia) and sometimes from the vendor (like eVga), and sometimes from a different vendor of the same hardware. Point is, know what you have and get it yourself. Used to use Aida32 or similar apps to help me know exactly what I have (make and model, etc).

After you install the OS, it is recommended to install drivers in this order:
    motherboard, network, video, sound

When troubleshooting, test after each (may need reboot). If a driver is the problem, you find it this way.

If no bios changes were made, and everything works after driver install, then you test software. If no software cause the problem, then you look at preferences, especially system tweaks.

Power issues are generally cured by bios settings, specific settings for hardware (like cpu type being ACPI or APIC etc) or system tweaks.

Relying on scan tools is easy, but until you know what is being installed, and know it is the correct driver, you really don't know...

Sul.

11. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi AaLF,

Sully and roger_m are far better in those things than me, so only a few side-notes:

Sully mentioned Aida32. It's successor is now AIDA64 and is no more free, but it has a 30-day trial period. It works on XP.
    http://www.aida64.com/downloads
    Take the extreme edition (that one is for home users).

There is for example also the lite (free) version of Sisoft Sandra:
    http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/?d=&f=downandbuy&l=en

Not sure whether this would help in your case:
    The 30-day trial of good old BootlogXP from Greatis:
    http://www.greatis.com/utilities/bootlogxp/download.htm

12. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Gigabyte has a Driver inspection page somewhere to tell you whether your gigabyte drivers are up to date. I recall you must access the page with internet explorer but I cannot find the link. Anyone got it stored in their bookmarks?

13. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Isn't that link already given by roger_m in reply # 4 ?

14. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Thanks. Missed when skimming through. :thumb:

15. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

No problem! It can happen to all of us :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.