Can you restore diff backup from boot disc?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Iachsi, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iachsi

Iachsi Registered Member

Hi People,

I have Paragon Backup & recovery 2011 (Free) which I have recently installed.
    I have a basic backup & various diff backups on an external spinner & was wondering if it is possible to recover diff backup for a certain point in time using the boot disc?

Your learned advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

Iachsi...

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Assuming your question is about the Linux boot disc, I don´t know. You can try. If it is possible to create a differential, it must be possible to restore it.

Using HDM 2011 Suite, it is possible to create and restore differentials from the WinPE disc. To restore, the program is pointed to the differential, and then it asks for the location of the base.

3. Iachsi

Iachsi Registered Member

Robin,

Yes this is from the Linux disc. I tested it soon after on a Vista PE OS & made a couple of diff backups from a base archive with deliberate system changes as indicators.

The pre-boot system disc works correctly but after searching for the diffs in the dialogue search box the only item available to restore from is the base archive. Or maybe I have missed something in the original diff backup that was critical to the pre-boot archive read from the external HD!?!

This is drivin' me nuts!

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

To restore a differential+base is not so different from restoring a full image. In the boot disc, you first select the differential, and then the base, when the program asks for it. The program does not search for them automatically. The differential is similar to a full image, just smaller. There is a .PBF file in it, which is the file you select.

To do this, you should know where the images are, and the external discs should be detected by the Linux boot disc. It may be possible that the Linux boot disc doesn´t detect some external drives. In this case, the images are not seen and can´t be restored, of course. The solution is to use a WinPE disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.