can you recommend a printer?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Feb 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i want to get a new printer but i don't really know what to get. can you help me pick one? i don't want a Lexmark, but anything else is fine, thanks :)

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If you just want a good all around printer for a very reasonabale price I recommend the HP 3520 I have one and it works just flawlessly and it is pretty easy on ink. The ink cartriges cost Color $17.00 Black $14.00 unlike some that cost up to $33.00 each.

bigc

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi BigC. that's all i need. i need it for printing out homework. i'll have alook around and see where it is cheapest. thanks for the help :)

4. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Looks like I'll ~cough~ have to retire my Lexmark! :'(

Attached Files:

5. bigc73542

Ice you might look here at this one it is a newer version of the 3520 here

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, that's the 3740. $34.63 sounds good to me :)

Buck, my friend had some problems with her Lexmark, and there was some other things too. but, if your printer works and you want to sell it i'll give you $34.62 for it :D

7. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Cheeky! :D

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

:D :ninja:

Attached Files:

9. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

11. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) Yup, got to agree, it's HP. Their web site is a good place to look also. I am on my second HP now (Deskjet 3820). Where were you BigC, when I purchased my second printer? Also while were at it, anybody have suggestions for ink refills, that do not range in the $30.00 + category? I am thinking about those refill kits, but don't know that much about them.

Thanks
    wildman
    :D :cool: :p :eek:

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

what about this o_O
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/inksaver.html

13. bigc73542

Some people must have some good luck self filling their own ink tanks but I have not personally seen anyone that got them to work like their supposed to. :(

bigc

14. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, that's what i was looking for. i was looking at this page, near the bottom, do you think i should get HP DESKJET 3745C PRINTER for £49.95. will they have the cheaper ink cartriges? there's some below it for £45.00 but no picture. i can't tell what the difference is other then the Order Code o_O

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

does Asda sell printers? they're owned by Walmart, i looked at the site BigC gave me and the order form looked like it was only for the US

16. bigc73542

The 3745 uses the less expensive cartriges, the same as the 3520. HP cartriges #27 and# 28

17. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

OK thank you BigC, Spanner. i'm going to get the HP DESKJET 3745C. i hate to think what i would have ended up getting if i hadn't asked first :eek:

i'll bookmark that site too Spanner.

thanks for all the help :)

18. EasyE

EasyE Guest

Be aware that the ink for those HP's are very expensive because the cartridges are so small. Basically, they are 1/2-filled versions of the cartridges used in their $100+ printers. Unfortunately, HP does not reduce the price by 50%. Of course, you cannot use the 56 & 57's in the 3000 series even though both sets look identical.

HP 3000 series:
    No. 27 Black Ink - 10 ml ink volume - $17.71
    No. 28 Tri-color Ink - 8 ml ink - $21.71

HP 5000 series:
    No. 56 Black Ink - 19 ml ink - $19.87
    No. 57 Tri-Color Ink - 17 ml ink - $29.88

For a few bucks more after rebate, a Canon Pixma IP 3000 is a better buy because you can buy cheap generics or refill if you wish to save even more money. Generics run less than $5 each. And if you are a refiller, the costs could drop to about a $1 each.

Newegg has this printer for $46 after rebate.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=28-102-153&depa=0

19. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

In my Experience Folks.....There is only one make of Printer worth considering.....EPSON......I have the Epson Stylus C42 Plus.....Brilliant...and just to make you all squirm with regard to Ink costs.....I pay £1.99 for Black and £2.99 for Colour Compatables and they are as good as the genuine Epson Cartridges..(I've used both) AND they last for ages.... :-*

Cochise, :cool:

20. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Epson Stylus C42 Plus? One of my friends has the C42 (but I dont think its the 'plus' version) and yes, the quality is brilliant and has excellent value for money...

21. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

For HP 3000 series refill kits google for 8727 and 8728.

Gerard

22. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

I am using a Canon S520 now, and I like it. When I wanted to replace my old printer (Lexmark) one year ago, I did some 'research' on printers.

One important thing you must consider when purchasing a printer is the cost of replacing cartridges instead of the cost of the printer itself. Indeed, the printer manufacturers make profit from expensive cartridges instead of printer itself. It's quite often that the cost of one or two cartridges is more than the cost of a printer. You have to buy cartridges again and again. So you may end up with spending hundreds of dollars on cartridges, but just around $50 dollars on the printer.

HP printers are nice. However, I did not pick a HP printer for several reasons. One reason is that, HP cartridge has all the color inks stored in one single cartridge. Once you have run out one single color ink, say the yellow ink, you then have to replace the whole cartridge, although the red ink might not have been used much yet. This is a waste of money. Another reason is that, HP puts 'smart chip' in their ink cartridges to prevent ink refilling or the use of a generic ink cartridge. Thus, it's hard for you to reduce the cost of cartridge replacement by refilling or using some other cheaper generic cartridges. As a fact, more and more printer manufacturers are using such 'smart chip' technology in their new models now.

The Canon printer that I am using has different cartridges for different inks. So if I run out the red ink, I just need to replace the red ink cartridge. Also, Canon is still not using the 'smart chip' technology yet (hopefully, they will never use it). So I am now using some generic cartridges which are not so expensive at all (about $2 a cartridge with decent quality). Of course, when choosing the generic cartridges, one needs to pay attention to their qualities.

Well, if you just need a single color (black) printer, or an old printer model, the story will be somewhat different. I have no relations with either HP or Canon, or whatever. Just want to share my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  23. EasyE

EasyE Guest

You can refill HP's if you perform a series of steps which requires covering pins or swapping empty cartridges. The biggest reason on why there no are cheap HP generics is not the chip, but the printhead. Both HP and Lexmark builds the printhead into the cartridge. This means when you buy a new cartridge, you get a new printhead. Downside is the cartridge is expensive and no 3rd party will even bother trying to manufacture their own printhead because they will never recoup their initial outlay. Instead, they just refill used cartridges.

24. `mishimasan`

`mishimasan` Registered Member

My new printer arrives soon. It's an Epson R200 for around 130€. Apparently, it's a very good printer - in fact, the number 1 bestseller on www.ebuyer.com.

25. Arin

Arin Registered Member

hello everyone, just wanted to let you know that HP's 3000 series printers are cursed with somethig called 'carriage stall'. this is specially true for the 3820 printer. the new 3650 and 3845 will let you exchange your printer in case if they develope hardware problem but you will get a refurbished printer. in fact everytime your replce your printer from HP, you will get a refurbished printer. so 'caveat emptor'.

in case if you want to know more about cartridges used by different HP printers. here
    is the link for you.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpa00585

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.