Can you recommend a fast/unobtrusive/non-HIPS no bs firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MrGump, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

liking Look N Stop so far, installed Phant0ms rule set opting for the $9.99 installer exe which makes it simple for noobs like meh. Haven't seen it run above 4500K (win7 ultmt 64bit P9500 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB ram) and its unobtrusive.

The application filtering is simple and surprising :eek:
    For example, LnS alerted me to the "safely remove hardware" program attempting to access the internet when I was removing a external HDD, I found that interesting so i blocked it. There is no option for blocking only for a given session, blocks are permanent but can be easily changed in the application filtering menu so it wasn't a problem. I am of course giving my first impressions and don't consider myself an expert reviewer.

Now, on to another surprising alert. As I updated Aviras signatures, I use the free version, I received the initial obvious firewall request and Avira updated as usual. As Avira finished updating the firewall prompted for a second Avira process attempting to access the internet and I believe it had "update" in the name, i allowed it out assuming it was essential to Avira. It ended up being the advertisement pop up which happens once a day. No firewall I have ever had has ever alerted me to this :ninja: I felt powerful in a strange way but I would not block it because I believe that would be unethical.

Now for the firewall noob like me that visits this thread in a couple months, listen up because this is for you. Look N Stop firewall is not free, but there is a great free trial. Phant0ms rule set is might be free but you need to install it yourself. I am not really sure what Phant0ms TOS are. He accepts donations and one form is to donate and use his installer which automatically detects the best settings for your current setup and installs his extra secret sauce. I would donate either way because it's prob the right thing to do. :thumb: Phant0m is highly regarded and can be usually be found right here on this forum in the LnS section. I'm not sure of what he puts in his special sauce but the logs that are created are more detailed than the Look N Stop default rule set. Okay, firewall noob, convos over need to get back to the review.

So, one thing I noticed using Look N Stop with Phant0ms rue set is that if I decided to switch from using my router to connecting directly to my modem i am unable to access the internet without either changing some rule or running Phant0ms installer again. This is not really a big deal though, you can always just go to the log and allow an exception or use LnS's built in function and save your current rule set. Then you just load a rule set made for direct connection to the modem or a rule set to be used connected to a router. Both are Ethernet connections. I did not have trouble accessing the internet when witching bands on my wifi router, 2.4 and 5ghz.

In conclusion, so far LnS has really pleased me with what it detects. But, i guess I would have to say most of that credit goes to the author of the rule set which would be Phant0m. I began using Phant0ms rule set from the start so I can not speak to LnS default rule set, but LnS's software is certainly powerful and easy to use. I will be staying with LnS and Phant0ms rules and will continue to update here. I have "needed" to ask for help configuring LnS with Phat0ms rules, and they can be easily accessed on this forum by visiting the Look N Stop thread or searching my name. The majority of the configuration issues I have had with this software and rules has not been related to applications not being able to work or losing access to the internet as the result of the software. In reality, only one issue I have had with LnS and Phant0ms rules has been a game not behaving properly as a result of the firewall, but this was easily fixed and a new automatic update has been released on Phant0ms forum. I was able to fix other issues myself or simple had moments where I went AHH! WTF! the programs working but why so many logs being created for it and me being a noob and getting worried. 99% of the apps I use , while well known, did not require any more interaction than allowing them access one time. I am impressed by my firewall setups informative logs and it's bulldoggy way *puppy* <--- not bulldog

I'll be back..
    with more updates :D

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

just bought Look 'n' Stop yesterday after trying it for a couple of hours.

i had been using Windows 7 Firewall Control before that but i did not like the way you had to restart an app after authorizing it.
    it made some installation a giant headache.

LnS pauses the connection while you make your choice.
    it's relatively easy to understand even for a noob like me.

great little proggie; small, light, easy to use. :thumb:
    i know LnS does not seem to be actively developed at this time, but if it works with Win7 it should work with Win8.
    so i'm good for quite a few years.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  3. moontan

yes there is.
    you have to switch to Advanced Mode (in Options/Advanced Options)

4. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

If you're using Windows Vista/7, you've already got an integrated, no HIPS, no BS firewall. You won't find any 3'rd party solution as effective or light.

If you're using XP, then my recommendations:

LooknStop
    Comodo (firewall ONLY)
    Private Firewall

5. moontan

it's a good firewall but it does not notify of apps trying to make outbound connections, nor does it offer an easy way to configure them.

i like to know when an app i'm installing is trying to install a Ask toolbar behind my back.

6. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Which is why these exist to help.

* Windows Firewall Control: -http://binisoft.net/-
    * Windows 7 Firewall Control: -http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html-

And of course the one you posted about yourself.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=307871

I have not used Windows Firewall Notifier, but i did use both the other programs and in the end sticked with Windows 7 Firewall Control. Both are not complicated to use and both warn you about outgoing connections. (As will WFN i assume. :) )

EDIT: I looked at WFN and now i remember that i did try it out as well, i just like Windows Firewall 7 control better so far.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  7. moontan

actually, i have posted about this one as well: ;)
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=293143

and i used W7FC for a couple of years.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  8. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Well,Comodo FW (in Custom Policy Mode),and Zone Alarm Free do warn about Avira's notify.I'm pretty sure that other FWs too (3rd parties ones),but only if their "whitelists" or "Trusted apps" are disabled.Though you're not saying at what FW's are you referring to.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  9. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

I am impressed with LnS. so much so I've settled on it and have ceased chopping and changing. But its not free.

Good free ones are Private firewall and Online Armor. OLA has Hips which you can turn off. And as a bonus if you need these features for a certain job/time period then just re-activate.

10. moontan

you can turn it off but i would prefer to have the option of not installing the stuff i don't use.
    even if you turn it off it still most likelily install drivers, services and kernel hooks for the HIPS part.

different strokes for different folks and all that. ;)

11. colorado13

colorado13 Registered Member

Comodo FW without Defense+ very good and strong :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.