can you help me install Linux, please?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by iceni60, Aug 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i think i might try and install Linux. i don't have a CD burner so i'm going to use a virtual drive. what do you think of Ubuntu?

which version should i download? The live CD or The install CD? i think the install one, because the HDD might run at the wrong speed for the live one, but i'm not sure, can you help me?

BTW here's the Windows XP Virtual CD Control Panel i found from MS
    i could only find a direct download for it, i'll have another look for the home page. it was the first link i tried so i should find the home page, i hope.
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...d58df02efa2/winxpvirtualcdcontrolpanel_21.exe

maybe not, here's some stuff about it...
    down the page to the paragraph above the pictures:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/useisoimageswithoutburningtodisk.asp

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Images-Utils/Virtual-CDROM-Control-Panel.shtml

2. dog

dog Guest

Ubuntu is alright - they'll mail you the CD for free if you like -> http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/ ... it isn't the easiest distro to install especially for a first timer, for you first experience with Linux I'd recommend SuSE, it's by far the easiest IMO to install, and overall is a very nice package. You can grab it from opensuse.org ...

I'd get a CD or DVD burner, you get them pretty cheap, especially if you go with just a CD Burner.

To make your installation easier format your drive before hand, an ext2 partition (8 GB is more than sufficient) and a linux swap disk (500-760MB) ... and don't write the Grub or Lilo bootloader to disc (HD), write it to floppy, then once your boot sequence is set floppy/HD/IDE ... just insert the floppy to load the bootloader, otherwise if it's written to disc which will drop it below the 1024 cylinder, it will cause problems down the road, which are correctable but why not save yourself from any future hassle.

Steve

3. dog

dog Guest

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'll have to stop my download. i only had another 5 hours to go :) will it run OK on a 6 GB partition? i'll take a picture of my drive will you let me know how much you'd make the new partition? i'd like to keep as much space as i can for XP as it's my main OS.

so if i download SuSE, in the download, there'll be a Grub file and/or a Lilo file? or do i have to go somewhere else for them?

how often do you use Linux? do you think it will be worth my downloading it? thanks.

Attached Files:

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

maybe i'll be able to run a live CD with this virtual drive, i hope so. i'm not sure what to download again now - the install or the live o_O

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'm sticking with the Ubuntu download, it's a 5th of the size. i should really find a small .iso from somewhere first and practise running it.

7. dog

dog Guest

6 GB will be fine :) You can probably easily get away with 4 or 5.

During the install it, it will give the choice of installing the lilo or Grub bootloader, just change the location to Floppy it doesn't matter which one is used, SuSE by default uses Grub.

Linux is fun to play with ... I've installed several different distro ... SuSE, Mandrake (now called Mandriva), Ubuntu ... currently just SuSE is installed, although I thinking about installing RedHat too. I use it ... occasionally, I've got it loaded ATM. It's great to learn.

Here are a couple of Screen Shots as a teaser :)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2005
  8. dog

dog Guest

Here's one of the Konsole ... running is a BitDefender Virus Scan ... the schema on the konsole is transparent (green tint) ... I took this yesterday for someone else. ;)

Attached Files:

9. ice60

ice60 Guest

well, i'll do my best, ATM i'm having trouble keeping cookies in Opera :D so, who knows how i'll do with the install. :) it looks great. i was watching a really good flash film of Knoppix running Nmap the other day, very cool. i'm being distracted at the moment - Carlito's Way is just finishing, the sun set bit. 4 1/2 hours to go :)

10. dog

dog Guest

Don't worry Ice, the most important thing is to take your time and ask any questions you have. Linux can be a steep learn curve from Windows ... so take you time and enjoy the experience and knowledge you'll gain. Like I said a live disc allows you to play around a bit and get comfortable with general things, it's probably the best way to start. ;) ~Just pop the disc in, boot from the IDE drive, and your off with your first experience~

Meneer has good knowledge, and he loves Ubuntu ... he's someone that you can pick the brains of. :) He helped me get started. ;)

11. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, dog

And very secure.

I can not get away from KANOTIX it is the bees of Linux LiveCD's.

ice60 you can install most LiveCD to HDD with sudo "distroname"-installer.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
  12. ice60

ice60 Guest

thanks TheQuest :) but i'm a 1/3 of the way through the install version now. i'll definately make a new partition so i can delete it when i need to.

what about a FW, i only have a software FW with XP not hardware, does that matter?

13. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, ice60

Most if not all Distro's come with a firewall included, Kanotix [I now am using the x64] come with its own and also the Guard Dog firewall.

I have Removable HDD [ViPower], so with my LiveCD I use just a HDD Partitioned with Fat32 and no OS, the HDD is not needed but there if I want to download anything, so have no worries about Security [Bad thing to say on a Security Forum, but true]

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

14. ice60

ice60 Guest

thanks TQ. i lost my stupid download, i didn't know that Opera wouldn't resume the download after rebooting :mad: i'm going to use LeechGet in IE now it will probably be quickest. i only had under an hour to go. computers are really stupid :D

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i'm creating the partition, what should it be? Primary? then, which should i pick from the picture? thanks

EDIT it's the install version. not live.

Attached Files:

16. dog

dog Guest

ext2 is the most common, but most use ResizerFS now ... when you install it will format it to it's preference, so it doesn't really matter which, but the benefit of doing before hand is during install it will recognize the extended filesystem format, and by default choose to install on it on the right partition for you. ;) Rather than you having to understand the partition positions/names. Create a 500MB (you can go as high as 750MB but 500MB is generally the suggested max) Linux Swap partition too.

HTH;

Steve

17. ice60

ice60 Guest

18. ice60

ice60 Guest

19. dog

dog Guest

Yes Windows won't see it ;) ... as for using a virtual disc, I have no idea :doubt: , if someone doesn't come along with an answer googling should give you direction.

20. ice60

ice60 Guest

the virual drive is just acting as an CD (D) drive, it should be the same as i'd see if i'd burned it to a CD. should there be something i can double-click to start the install?

21. ice60

ice60 Guest

so do i need to boot from the CD drive? maybe i'll download the live version :D

22. ice60

ice60 Guest

i got really frustrated and decided to delete the partition i made. i deleted my E partition by mistake, the most important thing on in was wallpaper and standalone programs. but, i'm now really worried about what i'd do if i lost my C drive. i'm going to go and read a book :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.