can you be anonymouse ?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by garry35, Aug 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

i know this question has been asked before, but i dont think i cant find a definitive answer.

considering that no matter how many precautions you take, the trail almost always leads back to you.... eg you subscribe to a VPN and the payment can be traced back even if you use bitcoin they can still trace back to your bank or credit card otherwise they wouldnt be able to charge you, same with paypal or paying via SMS. i think the best most people can hope for is to make it MORE DIFFICULT for them to trace you. but obviously i am by no means an expert and lots of other people know more than i do, so any opinions are welcomed

Gazzer

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi garry35,

To be anonymous, it is probably a good idea to use TOR, but not to use it to login anywhere, else your privacy could become compromised.

Otherwise, you have to "go off the grid"! There's a book about that - How to Disappear by Frank M. Ahearn.

I have heard of apartments/condos for sale in abandoned/refurbished missile silos - but, they are probably already purchased - the idea was to be self-sufficient.

-- Tom

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

It's not anonymouse.

It's anonymice.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

That's a very good play on words :thumb:

To be anonymous, you must blend into a very large crowd, the larger the better. That's why Tor so strongly encourages its users to use its standard anonymity-enhanced Firefox. All Tor users ideally look the same. Without that, even Tor's onion-routing design can't provide true anonymity.

Even Tor is limited by its low latency, currently about 1-2 seconds. Low latency facilitates traffic analysis, especially by adversaries with global reach. To get better anonymity than that you must use high-latency onion routing and mixing via anonymous remailers.

The best current implementation is Mixmaster. The Cypherpunk remailer protocol is better, but there are too few users. With Mixmaster, email delivery (to the alt.anonymous.messages newsgroup) takes almost a day. Anonymity provided by the Mixmaster network is limited by the small userbase. The userbase is small because setting up accounts is somewhat nontrivial, and at least a little intimidating. I started a tutorial on that some time ago, but never finished it. Maybe I'll get to it soon.

5. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

actually for me in the UK BOTH spellings are wrong my poor spellikng :(

6. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Ok let's be honest it is literally impossible to be 100% anonymous on the internet. If you want to be 100% anonymous? Don't use it. If you had a previous non-anonymous identity, completely ditch it. And start a new anonymous identity. If Facebook has a huge profile on you, delete your Facebook. Completely abandon your non anonymous identity and create a new anonymous identity.

Also logging in from Tor is NOT unsafe as long as you are using HTTPS. If you are logging in from Tor without HTTPS, there is a tiny chance that your log in credentials will get stolen by a malicious exit node. So best not to log in without HTTPS even though the chances of a hijack are very slim.

Also keep a low profile. If you become a high profile target, they will find you the moment you make even the tiniest slip up. Best to have maximum security settings and keep a low profile for maximum anonymity and safety.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.