Can True Image 8.0 handle diagnostic/hidden partitions during clone?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bbear, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbear

bbear Registered Member

I have just had an awful experience, while trying to install a new hard drive on my friends computer Ghost 2003 hung and left the disk with a corrupt Master Boot Record and partition table. After doing some research I found that this is a known problem with Ghost, however there is a program which hopefully will recover the situation and allow windows to boot again. (fingers crossed).

Anyway, I actually own True Image 8.0 and use it to do scheduled back-ups to my hard drive and to DVD, it works just great! I didn't think to use True Image to clone my friends hard drive but I have read that True Image does have a clone feature.

Does anyone know if True Image will be able to clone a disk with these "diagnostic/hidden' partitions?

For reference here is a link to the Symantec support page that details the problem:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...00/NT/Me/98/XP&src=sg&pcode=ghost&svy=&csm=no

This explains a little about what these partitions are, from what I understand these are diagnostic partitions on the disk often put there by the original system builder (Sony in the case of my friends PC),

thanks,

Kevin

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, bbear

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis forums.

Yes it is able.

There might a licensing problem, using you copy on your friends computer.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

You could remove the disk from your friend's machine and put in yours - you could then legally use TI on it.
    I also don't think there would be a license issue if you uninstalled TI from one computer and installed on another.
    The bootable CD can only legally be used on the machine that TI is installed on.
    However, I'd recommend that you download the free trial onto your friend's machine. Test to make sure it works fine for that hardware/software configuration and then get your friend to buy a license. Acronis has to pay staff to keep those improvements coming!

4. bbear

bbear Registered Member

Many thanks for your replies.

I will advise my friend to try the trial version, as this scenario has proved, he needs a reliable backup system.

TI is not expensive, and has been working flawless for me since I purchased it many months ago. I just kick myself for using Ghost in the first place, it was only because I hadn't got TI on a CD and I had my old Ghost one handy :-(

I don't mind so much that Ghost couldn't do the clone, but to leave the MBR and partition table screwed on the source drive is terrible IMHO

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.