can someone show me the correct HDD jumper settings, please?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i have always hated jumpers, i don't know why HDDs don't just have a switch with big letters and an arrow pointing to a setting for master!!!??!!

after this next time i'm not opening the case again :mad:

can someone show me which setting i have to configure the jumpers to so it will boot as master, and be able to read/write to the drive? it's the only drive in use.

i have a 6L250RO Maxtor. this is the page it takes me to.
    http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/M...sktop Storage/DiamondMax Family/DiamondMax 10
    if you select installation on the page it shows a jumper diagram. can someone show me which settings i should use?

hmm, every time i look at the other monitor the Ubuntu installation has gone one step further, but i don't think i've used the correct settings because the install is going about 10 times too slow. it has just started to format just now :p i'm still abit unsure i have used the correct jumper setting. which setting would you use? and should i do something in the BIOS too? thanks

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Iceman,

You want to put the jumper in the left most position (Master) when looking at the back of the drive with the label on top and the drive circuitry on the bottom. And the drive should be at the end of the cable (for PATA).

Don't do anything until it finishes the format.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just kept my finger on the button to turn it off while it was hanging at 33%

i put the jumper in the same place you both said and the install was going really, really slow. even detecting the drive at post took about 10 times longer then normal.

i just tried it again and it was just as slow. then i went into the BIOS to check it was seeing the drive correctly, then exited without saving anything. but this time it detected the drive at normal speed. but, it's gone really slow again now.

i did put some more memory in too, i'll try taking that stick out because it's being slow when the HDD isn't being used

[​IMG]
    :eek:

i know exactly what you mean, i have SATA drives in this and Ubuntu can't even see these drives, that's why i'm using SUSE :D

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it's not the memory. it's the HDD, it's making clicking noises now o_O i'll take it out and have another look at it :rolleyes:

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

WooooooooAAAAAAHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhoooo. it's working, i just took the stupid jumper out altogether :D i'm installing Dapper now :cool:

7. Devinco

What the h***? Did I ever mention that I hate Maxtor hard drives?
    So the drive is not making the abnormal clicking noise anymore?
    You might want to run the Linux equivalent of Scandisk on it to be sure it's ok.

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

iceni60

Did you use the same ribbon cable which came with the new drive.

Is there another device on the same ribbon cable?.
    ..If yes, Which connector is used? and how is it jumpered ? and is it a hard drive or a cdrom type?

A drive configured as Master must be on the end connector.

No jumper means configured as slave for your new drive. Slave must be on middle connector with another device on the end connector.

If one device on the ribbon cable is jumpered as cable select, then both devices should be jumpered as cable select. In other words, do not mix a cable select device on the same ribbon cable as a master/slave relationship.

Link to jumper settings for 6L250R0
    http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/jumper_settings/style_a2.htm

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  9. GroverH

Image missing from previous posting.

Attached Files:

10. Devinco

Iceni,

I thought you said Ubuntu wouldn't install on your computer because the ICH7 RAID setting could not be turned off. What changed?

11. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

I didn't think it mattered which connecter you used unless you use cable select. I've never worried about it when adding hard drives to my machines. I just use whichever connecter is easiest for each drive.

12. GroverH

cthorpe,

I have never tried the other way. When the instructions work, I see no reason to deviate from those instructions.

Extract from the Maxtor install guide

attaching cables:
    • If two drives will be connected to the ATA cable:
      • The existing boot drive should be plugged into the black (end) connector on the cable

• The new drive should be plugged into the gray (middle) connector.

If the new drive will be the only device on the ATA cable, plug it into the black (end) connector on the cable.
    Jumper settings:
    • In a master/slave setup, the boot drive should be configured as master
      and connected to the black connector (end) at the end of the ATA cable.

If you are attaching a second drive to the same ATA cable, it should be
      configured as slave and plugged into the gray (middle) connector.
    Note: Their diagram shows the black connector as being the end connector; and the gray connector as being the middle connector.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for the help, but the drive is broken! i tried 2 other drives - all configured as master and the Maxtor one was the only one which didn't work. i'll send it back.
    it's a different computer.

i ended up installing Dapper on another drive :cool:

14. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if ur sending it back, maybe u can get a different drive. seagate and western digital are good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.