Can someone provide ISO image of Bootable Recovery Disk version 10?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tuttle, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuttle

tuttle Guest

I have True Image 8. I use it to image my Win98SE PC.

A friend's Windows XP laptop will not boot due to bad disk sectors. I want to image or backup his user files/directories before attempting repairs which could erase his data. I tried booting his laptop using the Bootable Recovery Disk from ATI 8. Unfortunately, because of the bad sectors ATI cannot create a normal compressed image to my USB hard drive. ATI says that it must copy sector by sector, and this will be huge - over 60 GB and that is bigger than my USB hard drive.

So, I want to try ATI 10, since it can do file-based backup. I hope that by booting from an ATI version 10 Bootable Recovery Disk that it will enable me to do file-based backup of his files to the USB drive.

Problem: when I buy/download ATI 10, it must first be installed to create a Bootable Recovery Disk. But, my PC is Win98SE which apparently cannot run ATI 10, so I'm unable to create the Bootable Recovery Disk.

Could someone please provide me with an ISO image of Bootable Recovery Disk version 10 that I can burn to CD, in order to try to rescue data from the XP laptop? I can provide an FTP site for loading. Once the laptop is fixed, it can run the ATI 10 that I will buy and download. But until then, I'm stumped as I need a Bootable Recovery Disk version 10 in order to proceed.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello tuttle,

Sorry, but I should point out that what you are asking would cause the person sending you the ISO to break the terms and conditions of his licence. I suggest, therefore, that you purchase a copy of TI 9.0 (compatible with Win98 and can backup Files and Folders) from one of the many on-line retailers that are still selling this version.

Regards

3. tuttle

tuttle Guest

Thanks for the information. I'd hate to purchase one-generation old software though, when the newer version is already available at an upgrade price.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Well, if your friend really can't live without the extra features in TI 10.0 (many of us can :cool:), then he could always pay extra later on to upgrade the upgrade. A small price to pay for recovering that valuable data surely?

Regards

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Other option would be to make a basic BartPE disk without True Image and just do a Windows Explorer copy of the data files. IMO, better than stuffing flakey files into a proprietary container file.

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

There is however no guarantee that the file based backup that Tuttle is after would actually work on a failing drive.
    I would suggest that they should club together and purchase a drive large enough to take a sector by sector image which hopefully would include the valuable data.
    There would of also be licencing implications using this approach.
    Another way forward would be to remove the failing drive and put it into an external enclosure or mount it as a secondary drive in another computer that could read and copy the necessary files without using TI at all.
    This would have to be an XP computer unless the files were in FAT 32 format in which case Tuttle's Win 98 machine could read them.
    There are third party tools that will convert drives from NTFS to FAT 32 without data loss. This may well not be a good thing to do to a drive that is heading south!

Xpilot

7. tuttle

tuttle Guest

Interesting. Where can I find instructions on how to make a BartPE disk? Is that commercial software or open source?

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I don't think you will find it to be of much use or be able to create it on your Win 98 computer.
    It is only appropriate to Windows XP Sp1 or better SP2 .

Xpilot

10. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Good point that I overlooked but perhaps there is a friend with an XP machine that can be used to make the BartPE disk.

11. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You will need a machine running WIN2000 or WIN XP to be able to build one. Perhaps a friend can help.
    BartPE http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.