Can someone help with this problem?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by dja2k, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well this is what I did. I have SNAPSHOT1 which got ARCHIVED to another drive and then imported back as SNAPSHOT2. This is what is happening. The SNAPSHOT1 has no errors with registry cleaners yet SNAPSHOT2 which is the same identical as SNAPSHOT1 after importing shows some of the errors in the attached file. I'm not even showing 1/4 of the whole errors. Is the registry or other files not being copped correctly?

dja2k

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

So you did :
    1. Copy/update from SNAPSHOT1 to ARCHIVE1
    2. Copy/update from ARCHIVE1 to SNAPSHOT2.
    There is nothing wrong with this, unless you had errors during the first or second copy/update.
    Another reason can be : one of your security softwares screwed the copy/update.

The only way to solve this is to redo both copy/updates and I would delete ARCHIVE1 and SNAPSHOT2 first.
    Disabling your security might help.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi dja2k

A couple of things. First the things Erik has responded are good points. I always did disable AV's before I scrapped them all together.

What I would first try is recopy to the archive and make sure the copy is error free. Then I would recopy from the archive to snapshot 2 and check again. Also What registry cleaner are you using. That can be an issue. The only one I've found I trust is Regsupreme Pro, and only normal scans.

Pete

4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Thanks guys, but here is the situation.

The copies are always error free "ZERO COUNT". I even did the backup and restore from my 3rd Snapshot which is only for testing and it has no security on it. I still got the same exact errors. I can tell right away because when I open up any MS Office, it runs the installer like if it was missing some files.

I am using CCleaner but its only for testing, I did it once to see what it would do, but I don't normally use registry cleaners. Comparing my normal SNAPSHOT1 "no ccleaner errors" to my backup SNAPSHOT2 "lots of ccleaner errors" <--- Verified with the MS Office situation.

dja2k

5. Peter2150

Can you do a copy/update from the 1st(good) snapshot and create a new snapshot, and is it good?

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

No, any snapshot coming from the SNAPSHOT1 (NO REG ERRORS) comes out bad. Trying to figure this out, if the registry in the good SNAPSHOT1 has read errors etc., will FD-ISR still copy it though?

dja2k

7. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Here is more info:

If I copy the snapshot with KIS 2007 and then boot to the new one that will have errors, I see KIS 2007 go crazy saying that svchost and firefox executables has changed plus others. Also Firefox on first lunch says "Firefox is not your default browser..." but yet it was in the good snapshot. Its like FD-ISR is not copying files correctly.

dja2k

8. Peter2150

Is your av module in KIS active during the copy. When I had KAV on my machines, I always disabled it for copy/updates. You might try that first, because you are right sounds like something isn't copying right.

9. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Pete nothing is enabled, I disabled KIS completely. I even stated earlier I did the copy update from within a virgin snapshot with nothing on it and still the same errors. You know what, I've noticed this kind of behavior in the past, yet I never though it was FD-ISR and would ignore it, but now that I see all the errors, DAMN! Thats why I gave up reg cleaners, they just scare me of what they find, so I just let the registry do its own thing.

Now I want to find out if the problem is reading\writing the files while backing up the Snapshot or while restoring\copying it.

dja2k

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  10. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I think there is no hope for this, so basically my only alternative is to start a new fresh installation of Operating System and everything that follows. Seems the main FD-ISR snapshot is corrupt at copy\update or whatever. I was basically getting all my snapshot from that corrupt one, so that is no use to me.

dja2k

11. Peter2150

If you primary snapshot is fine, make an archive of it, and any other snapshots that are good. Then delete all the extra snapshots, and do an uninstall reinstall.

Pete

12. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I can't my primary is the one that is busted. Every time it comes out bad like I showed. So for now, I did what I had to do in this good primary snapshot and later will reformat and install everything. I am guess my True image snapshots are worthless too. So I am just going to start clean again, no big deal. Thanks Pete.

dja2k

13. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well after cleaning out my system and installing a fresh Windows XP then installing FD-ISR, I still can't copy snapshots correctly. Seems FD-ISR doesn't like me anymore :rolleyes: . I don't understand, Acronis True Image copies the same working snapshot and restores it without problems. I had no active security software and still the problem was there with First Defense. Its like those files or the registry is locked and FD-ISR can't copy it correctly. This is going down as an unsolved mystery.

dja2k

14. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Have you thought about contacting the vendor? They may send you a new copy engine.

You never know, yours may have been corrupted somehow.

15. Peter2150

Couple of thoughts dja.

First Stapp is right might be time to contact the vendor. For sure Raxco will help you. 2nd, have you tried RSS. I wonder if there is a problem with ATI 10.

Pete

16. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Will try without True Image. If that doesn't work, time to contact Raxco.

dja2k

17. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Hey Pete, you mentioned if I've tried RSS. Well I tried this:

Switch from VSS to RSS
    1. From a command prompt, cd \$ISR\$APP\Setup | ISRSetup -install –rss
    2. Reboot your computer

but notthing changed, when I try to copy I still see it say starting VSS. Am I missing something here.

dja2k

18. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Maybe the missing "C:" was important in your case or you did a typo :

1. CMD + Enter
    2. CD C:\$ISR\$APP\Setup + Enter
    3. ISRSetup –install –rss (or –vss) + Enter
    4. re-boot

19. Peter2150

Exactly. The cmd prompt doesn't usually start you at the C: root.

Pete

20. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Guys I don't know about you but when I type cd \$ISR\$APP\Setup I get to the C: root. Check out the screen shot. Any how that doesn't work.

dja2k

Attached Files:

21. Peter2150

Yep, doing what you did, I get the same result. Hmm

22. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I mean Pete, if I did that right and it changed it to RSS, I shouldn't see the copy saying "starting VSS" right but rather I should see something about RSS? or am I wrong?

dja2k

23. Peter2150

It won't say starting RSS, you just shouldn't see the Starting VSS. I don't remember if you have to reboot or not. Eriko_O

24. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well I still rebooted right after I did that setup, but it still shows starting VSS.

dja2k

25. Peter2150

I am stumped. I think it is support time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.