Can someone help please

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by MICRO, Jun 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

On a WIN98se - IE6sp1 - Tools - Int.Options - Privacy - Advanced
    there is a cookie handler\overrider which I had set how I wanted it.

I noticed it had changed to being "Greyed out" and I think it's one of the
    legit. progs. that took it over, but I can't tell which one.
    I reset it, but in minutes it's "Greyed out" again.

I have the superb Spywareblaster and Spywareguard, plus SS&D and
    Win Patrol, all work very well, but I don't see any ref. on any of them to
    taking over the above mentioned.

Does anyone have knowledge re. the above please, and if I can read
    anywhere about same.Even if you can't say which one it is, can you maybe say which one or ones it isn't.

TIA,
    Regards.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Micro,

While Spybot and SpywareBlaster have features in their respective software that adds sites to the Per Site Privacy area your speaking of....they do not have a selection to disable that Advanced. If however you have run a program called CWShredder....it will make that change your speaking of and also will cause the cookie slider to be invoked with a setting of Block All Cookies.

3. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thanks Bubba,
    Yes I do run CWShredder about every hour, but in this IE6 it's not a slider
    as that which you mention, it's a dialog type box, but it's the "Greying out" of it that's got me. I can't see in CWShredder anything about the, "Block All Cookies" setting to which you refer,any further clues please ?

Thanks,
    Regards

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Micro,

The "Greying out" is a direct result of executing CWShredder and there is no setting in CWShredder to stop this from happening.

Are you speaking of the Edit button in the below pic ?

If so....that is a direct result of running CWShredder....which was not designed to be run every hour but for those times when experts troubleshooting CoolWebSearch Highjacks deemed it necessary. While that does not prevent users from executing the program....that is not what the program is designed for.

Attached Files:

5. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Bubba,
    That's a diff. pic. to mine, so I went and checked why, then I could see that while I am using,"Custom" you must be using,"Default".
    When I click on Advanced, there is no slider as shown in your pic.

If you had the Custom setting, and then clicked on Advanced, you would see
    the same pic. as I, and that's the one that's "Greyed out".

No I'm not touching the Edit button.

So I ask you if I should really have the setting on Default, other words is there any benefit to my Custom setting, which appears to be set by my having Custom set under
    "Security" rather than via "Privacy".
    Any advice ?

TIA.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Micro,

The slider that's showing in that pic is a direct result of what my settings were changed to after I ran CWShredder. My normal Custom\Advanced settings are that I Block 1st party\3rd party cookies and do NOT allow session cookies.

Before We talk about advice for cookie handling.....are you satisfied that CWShredder is changing the settings ?

Also....so that I do not get any more confused....which button for You is actually "Greyed out" ?

7. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Hi Bubba,
    No I can't tell which of the legits. is changing the settings, I wish I could.

When I run CWShredder it does not change any settings as far as I can tell,
    it seemed to be a completely stand alone prog. I thought, until you said it changes these very settings that we are discussing.

All I can say is that I have never seen that slider box in your pic.
    But the "Greyed out area" is the whole box in the custom\advanced area, apart from the small box, which is white and unchecked, it says,
    "Override automatic cookie handling".

Normally I have that box checked - I don't allow session cookies -
    I Accept 1st party, but BLOCK third party.

That's why I am trying to find out, because I prefer to have it set as I want it.
    As I said, I reset it, and a few minutes later it's "Greyed out" again.
    I am now wondering if it could be one of the other progs. I mentioned in my first post.
    I may try losing CWShredder for a minute, as a start.

It's got me beat.
    Thanks for your perseverance,

Regards.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Ok....don't lose CWShredder for a minute. Fix your cookie settings like you want them via Privacy\Advanced....close ALL browser windows and then run CWShredder. Then immediately go to Tools\Internet Options\Privacy\Advanced and see if anything has been changed. That's the quickest\easiest way to tell if CWShredder is the culprit.

9. Diamond T

Diamond T Registered Member

MICRO - just to confirm what Bubba has said. I have my settings exactly as you stated yours are in IE. If I run CWShredder it changes my cookie handling settings to default. Don't know how or why but it does - really!

10. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thanks Bubba and Diamond T,

I went to Privacy, clicked on Default, and up came the slider box, so I set it
    on High.
    Then closed all Browser pages and ran CWShredder which was clean.
    I checked if the slider setting was still on High and it was, and is.
    The "Greyed out" is still the same.

I might ask you both what you have the slider setting as ?

When you are looking at the slider box, if you click on Advanced, what do you see on screen ? If you both have CWShredder and you both have the slider set on High then by clicking on Advanced I assume you should both be seeing the same "Greyed out box" as I see.If you do then I shall leave it all be.

Regards.

11. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually Micro, could you post a screen image (or images - one per post if more than one would be helpful) walking us through the screens you are seeing? I'm still confused as to what is greyed out there. :doubt:

12. Diamond T

MICRO - On the Privacy tab the slider only shows if "default" is in use. Once you click Advanced you will get the "greyed Out" stuff. If you tick "overrided automatic cookie handling" the options are no longer greyed out. Set your preferences and ok. Then when you open the privacy tab the slider will no longer be there. I never use the slider(it's set in the default position) since Advanced overrides the settings anyway. Setting the slider on high doesn't change anything in the advanced screen. You have to do that yourself. Setting the slider on high will also block all cookies which I don't want to do. I want some cookies - the one for this site for example so I don't have to sign in each time I visit. I use AnalogX Cookiewall to handle first party cookies so I can decide at the time which to keep or not. Hope this helps.

13. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

LWM is there any chance that you can give me the A -Z of how to post a screen image please,or somewhere I can read how to ?. I tried a couple of ways using print screen, but I could not paste the pic. into notepad or wordpad. Maybe that's not the way to do it ?

Regards.

14. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thanks Diamond T,
    I understand and am a bit closer, but I am still after the same as in my first post.

You would be answering my problem if you could tell me this, when you click on Privacy and then Advanced you hopefully are seeing the
    'Advanced Privacy Settings Box'.
    Now when I set that box re. the cookies to how I want it, I thought it would stay that
    way, but it doesn't.
    Are you saying that when you set that box it stays as you set it, regardless of whether you run CWShredder or not ?

Regards.

15. Diamond T

"Are you saying that when you set that box it stays as you set it, regardless of whether you run CWShredder or not ? "

No MICRO I'm not saying that. If I run CWShredder it changes the "advanced" cookie settings (greys them out) and resets cookie handling to the default setting. I then have to go in and reset my cookie settings. I don't know why CWShredder is doing it but it is. I think you are seeing the same behaviour as everyone else. CWShredder is not meant to be run as part of a regular scanning routine. It should be run only if you have reason to believe you have a CWS infection. If you do run it you will have to reset your cookie settings. Hope this helps!

16. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thanks for your help Diamond T, I have it now.

Regards.

17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'm not sure where I erred in my attempt to explain this to you but hopefully you are indeed convinced that CWShredder did\does indeed alter IE's Advanced Privacy Settings in respect to cookie handling ?

18. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Bubba,
    You did not err at all, only thanks is due to you, it's just that Diamond T
    was seeing the exact same problem as I, but he knew why it was not a problem,
    whereas I initially did not.
    Between the both of you I got to see the light.
    There's non so blind as they that cannot see - I was in that area for a minute, and it's not a pretty sight.

You could give me one extra snippet of info. if you don't mind.
    In Reply no. 4 of this post you included a pic. titled 'Attached Images'
    and I could do with knowing how one includes a pic. in a post, so to speak.
    I have tried a few ways but to no avail.

Kind Regards.

19. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

20. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thanks a lot snowbound.

Regards.

21. Diamond T

MICRO -
    I'm a she . :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.