Can someone help me crash my computer? or help me get software to work again?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SonyaM32, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

I don't have the owners manual. Here is the info.
    Compaq Prolinea 5100.
    Does the model number mean the serial number ? All I see is the serial number. I can put the serial # here if you want?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2005
  2. SonyaM32

Would I be able to make a floppy in DOS mode? I have 2 Windows 98 floppy disks. I think one is no good, it seems that the one that works causes it to boot to the safe mode and other options screen, instead of the one like in the picture above.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You should be able to download what you need using the computer you are on now.

4. SonyaM32

Well, this computer has everything except a floppy drive :mad:
    When I bought it, I had a feeling I would need one with a floppy drive, but nooo, I had to have this one! :rolleyes: :D

5. SonyaM32

Well, I just tried the floppy disk I thought was no good, and it takes me to that same safe mode and other options screen too. Also, the floppy that I know is good, I just tried it a week ago and it worked before I moved it in here from my daughters room. So I'm pretty sure the floppy's good.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. SonyaM32

Ok, I had to do what I could in DOS because I can't get windows to load for the start menu. No luck on getting it to recognize D :doubt: Windows will start normal, or in safe mode, but before it loads anything, that window comes up and says it has to shut down because the file is missing. And so it never finishes loading.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. SonyaM32

Well, on the computer that's not working rite, it does have a floppy drive, but not the new one I'm on now :)
    Also, on the broke computer the CD drive is D. I know from the past problems with it. :)
    I have the floppy boot disk, and the CD in the old one.

10. SonyaM32

Ronjor, I really like that site. Thanks
    I am having trouble finding something within that site though. It is on this page,
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000515.htm
    . and it is almost all the way at the bottom, in the section above "tip" , where it says "The system cannot find the drive specified." If this occurs and you know the drive exists it is likely that your drive is having problems. See our help section for the drive you are having problems with.
    I cannot find that help section it is refering to. Maby I am overly tired, lol But I looked for it! :rolleyes:

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

12. SonyaM32

I can't find it. But I know for sure that it isn't recognizing the D drive. I just need to figure out how to make it recognize it in DOS somehow
    Times like this is when I wish I had of kept more notes from a few years ago when I had a similar problem with it not recognizing the D drive. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    So now first I have to make it notice that D really exists, lol :D , then I need to reinstall windows to take care of the missing file. And then after I fix it all, my daughter will have to come get me to turn on the computer for her, lol, naa I'm not that bad, haha :cool:

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Take your time and read through some of the info. Computer problems can seem impossible and then someone comes along and makes the right suggestion.
    So, patience. :D

14. SonyaM32

Thank you ronjor! You helped me out so much! :cool: :) Thanks for all you do here! :)

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thanks Sonya. If you have a revelation on the problem, be sure and post. :D

16. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures,

What is Hdd? Hard Drive I am pretty sure. I did not see you get an answer on that. I don't think it is that but I still would not rule that out. It may be getting ready to go. :ninja:

"Times like this is when I wish I had of kept notes from a few years ago when I had a similar problem with it not recognizing the D drive."

I have a log book for both my PCs. Dates, times I make changes, what I do, where stuff is. Notes of all kinds. It has saved me on occassion. Also allowed me to supply needed information to some one (like friend Ronjor) here who can take the information and provide solution. I highly recommend all do it for each machine. Just start today. ;)

17. SonyaM32

Hi :)
    Actually I do have a folder about 2 inces thick , all about past problems, that I would print off of various forums, or answers I got on a problem from a few years ago, and here recently from here at Wilders :D I have had this same problem before,(years ago) lol :D but just my luck, I didn't save anything on it. I don't even remember where I got the info from to begin with, I think aol or somewhere like 3 or 4 years ago. My memory is shot, and I have no clue why, I am only 33 but I think I am getting dementia or something :rolleyes: Or whatever that is that causes memory loss :doubt:

18. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi Sonya,

I've located some pages on the link that Ronjor gave you, that i feel may be helpful. One of them might be what you were actually trying to find again.

WINDOWS 98 QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

http://www.computerhope.com/w98qa.htm

Windows computer only starts in MS-DOS.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000140.htm

MS-DOS QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

http://www.computerhope.com/dosqa.htm

What is the MS-DOS command to get back into Windows?

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000736.htm

I hope your brains not aching as much today lol, and that you manage to sort it out fairly soon.

StevieO

19. ravin

ravin Registered Member

on my old compaq the key to get into the bios is F12. as the machine boots repeatedly tap this key. once in the bios use the arrow key -> to advanced and their you will see various options. let us know if you get that far....

20. SonyaM32

Thanks StevieO, and ravin :)
    I will probably be working more on it tonight, and I'll let ya know how it goes. If I remember rite, I never could find BIOS a while back when I had problems before. But I will try the F12 and I'll be back later with the outcome. Once I do get into BIOS, I will for sure need help :rolleyes: :D Thanks again!

21. ravin

ravin Registered Member

while I'm waiting to hear I'll make some notes to have handy.

22. ravin

ravin Registered Member

here's what I discovered about my old compaq.
    to enter the bios tap the delete key repeatedly while starting.

once in the bios move over with the arrow key to storage.
    using arrow keys move down to boot order then hit enter.
    order should be for booting from cd:
    cd-rom drive - first
    floppy drive [A:] - second
    Hard Drive [c:] - third

when it is as above hit F10 to accept.

use arrow keys to go back to main
    then arrow down to save changes and exit and hit enter key.
    should see prompt again for save changes and exit F10 so hit F10.
    machine will reboot at this point.

open cd tray and put in your windows disk.
    don't worry if system trys to boot before you get cd in just hit ctrl+alt+delete to reboot again. hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2005
  23. SonyaM32

Ok, neither f12 or delete brings me to bios. F12 brings it to boot, but when I go to boot, it only starts it up normal where it says there's a missing file and it says it has performed an illegal operation and has to shut down. I don't know if this matters, but it's a commercial unit. As I said, I don't know if that helps, but I don't know if I was ever able to go to bios on this computer, but I want to at least try again just to be sure :).

24. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Hi Sonya,

Going back to Bubba's post from the second page, have you taken any notice from his comment ...
    ... you know when it first boots, before the Welcome screen? That's the info you need to enter setup ...
    should be mentioned during what looks like a meter climbing (loading).

GF

25. SonyaM32

Yes, I noticed :) But this computer only has a blinking curser like thing, and nothing else before the welcome screen. Nothing else shows up even for an instant except for "16384 kb ok" And during that time I start tapping all the keys :)
    Ok, since my last post here are all the keys I've tapped during startup trying to get to setup..
    All the f1 f2 , ALL he f keys.
    esc
    shift
    CTRL
    delete
    alt
    None has worked.
    As I was tapping keys I do remember years ago, going to "setup" somehow.
    :rolleyes: Yes it took me a while to remember, lol :rolleyes: I just don't remember HOW, I got there :doubt:
    I remember once I got there it has a choice of f10 to boot, or setup.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.