Can RSS change its configuration in its virtual mode and keep the changes after reboo

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by Vwv101, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vwv101

Vwv101 Registered Member

RSS 2011 Home

The following was found by a mistaking operation.
    When RSS was in its virtual mode,
    I changed the configuration under "Notify user about protected status" from
    "Virus Guard (Real-time Protection) is active" to "Virtual Mode is active." The change remained and remains after rebootings.

Is this normal?

Thank you!

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Vwv101,
    Yes, this is normal. Our software is able to update its internal files while in Virtual Mode as it controls the disk and is able to save changes to the real disk. In the free version of RSS, this is limited to these internal changes (preferences, signature updates, cloud updates, troubleshooting log updates, etc) while the paid Pro versions support additional user defined content.

Kind regards
    Mike

3. Vwv101

Vwv101 Registered Member

Thank you!

This worries me. The reason that I have RSS on my PC is for security. And the RSS is always virtual mode on when my PC starts.

What if a malware changes the settings?
    Isn't this a security leak?

Thank you!

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

No, this is not a security leak/risk and is part of the program's self-maintenance. Malware is not able to make changes to RSS itself so would not be able to make any changes to its internal files with Virtual Mode active.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.