Can Returnil restore your PC if you remove an important reg file?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ratchet, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

&
    Ah, OK, this reaffirms my thought processes at least although my implementation was a little bit off. What I did was interrupt SD from the monster commit and reboot. Because of the partial commit, I then had to reinstall, uninstall, and again reinstall DiskSentry and everything is copacetic now. I can see that committing only the install file and then installing after reboot would have been the way to go and that an extensive test and commit could have been better done within an FD-ISR snapshot which I could have then "committed" by copying the snapshot into primary. So, I have overlap with FD-ISR already on board and perhaps I just need to learn application of Sandboxie better. Thanks!

2. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thaks
    i mean this warning

Attached Files:

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but i'm testing shadow protection
    i enabled the shadow mode for all my hard disks
    i installed acronis true image last version in shadow mode
    acronis need the reboot to work
    i reboot my pc
    still in shadow mode , but there is not track about acronis, i mean there is not true image in my pc,why?

i mean shadow protect should support the reboot
    so i could install a program that need reboot to work or? what's wrong

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello mantra,
    We are working towards this capability in future generations of the software. We are not rushing to add this though as there are other things that need to be acomplished first. Its purpose will not be testing oriented as we see proper disaster recovery being the most important consideration, and that means careful develpment and testing which takes time. Remember that restoration has only one priority; reliability...

We still strongly recommend products like VMware, VPC, VirtualBox, etc as proper testing environments with RVS being used to protect the real system from accidental leaks or actions by the user that could result in the real system being infected.

Mike

5. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi ratchet and happy holidays :)

We have all played with our systems over the years and inevitaibly done something that at best made things worse and at the other end: fubar. This is just a small part of what RVS was designed to help avoid and keep your system functioning at its best. While I would certainly not suggest doing this normally, I would be confident of RVS's ability to get you back up and running if the protection was on when you did it ;)

Mike

6. crofttk

mantra, I'm a little confused - you need to be careful using the term "shadow pprotection" as there is a program named Shadow Protect. If you're still talking about Shadow Defender here, maybe it's time we moved to another thread - you can start one of your own - since original post is asking about Returnil and Coldmoon is here and can answer all of Racthet's questions about Returnil.

If you are testing Shadow Defender, and there is no track of ATI after reboot, then by my understanding of SD, it did exactly what it is designed to do.

If you are actually testing the program Shadow Protect, I am out of my element there as I haven't looked into it. That "mother" thread by BlueZannetti can help sort out differences between Shadow Protect and the others.

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks again
    i was talking about shadow defender

8. crofttk

Re: pProtection and RaCThet - sheesh! perhaps I should look for a realtime spell-checker too, or put my fingertips on a diet! LOL

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes right
    i'm confused
    i'm off topic
    i opened a new thread about sd
    thanks to all

10. crofttk

No, no, I was confused, I was only talking about my own typing mistakes. Good idea, your own thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.