can remote administrator server run under wine?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by abubin, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abubin

abubin Registered Member

Can I know if anyone tried running remote administrator server under wine?

I have a server that need to setup but was thinking of saving cost on buying windows license just for running remote administrator server.

As the server will be used also for filesharing, samba would be enough. But RA server do not have linux version yet.

2. JesusV

JesusV Former ESET Support Rep

Hello abubin,

Remote Administrator should run with wine with no issues. However you will need an additional license for it even running wine if you do not have a business license already.

3. abubin

abubin Registered Member

why do i need extra license for remote administrator server?

I thought only need license for clients running smartsecurity or nod32. That is business license.

I am planning to just install remote administrator server on the wine to manage accounts and also to handle updates.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  4. abubin

abubin Registered Member

or do you suggest better if I run it under virtual environment like virtualbox or vmware?

The cons of running under virtual is the extra windows license needed (i already have) and more memory required to run. The server have 1GB memory, so I think giving the virtual environment 384mb should be sufficient to run remote administrator server.

Please do comment.

5. abubin

abubin Registered Member

here is an update.

I am testing trying to run RAS under wine but seems like there are a lot of work involved to get things working. I need to also get ODBC working as RAS seems to be using ODBC.

I think I will go for using virtualization since this ensure 100% compatibility and much easier installation.

6. JesusV

JesusV Former ESET Support Rep

Hello abudin,

Running VMware is optimal for your scenario. However you will still need an extra business license. The reason why is your are using a different platform. 2 different Os's = 2 different licenses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.