Can Prevx1 and Online armor work together?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Bio-Hazard, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I am changing my security set up and i would like to know:

1) Can they work together?

2) Is it a overkill?

3) What would be the possible problems or benfits?

With them i would be using Comodo firewall Pro and NOD32.

Thanks!

Ps. I am fairly new to this forum, but i like it. I have received good advise and ideas. Thank you everybody!:thumb:

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

All Rolls-Royce:) . I think Prevx1 will work with almost everything, but i never tried Online Armor, so i'm guessing. With Comodo and NOD32, again, all RR and there could be problems, they all stretch the tentacles very far:D

That's a very specific line-up, but maybe some member already tried it, who knows!

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

someone on this forum used to run online armour along side prevx with no problems
    lodore

4. Bio-Hazard

Well...i have just started using them together (day 2). I have to say so far going well, but it is early days. I was using few other combinations of free/paid security programs, my system was slow, start up took long time and system would freeze. But with this combinations my system works better and start up is faster. So lets see how it goes.

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Check OA's features for the overlap of functions -Prevx/OA. I know you're only checking them out, but comparing features is always educational somehow.:) Who does what, and how...
    And let us know your findings, i'm curious on OA. Never tried it, but always interested.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am running Prevx1 alongside the Online Armor beta of V2 with firewall. They run fine together. Some overlap, but some uniqueness also.

Pete

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: My understanding is that OA is expanding its features to include firewall and AV, and has made some encouranging progress. On the other hand, in the communication w/ Prevx1 support, I also learned that they are planning to shape Prevx1 to make it become an unique all-in-one(exactly their word) security suite. Therefore, sometime in not far future, these two great apps may be on an inevitable collison course. Again, it takes time to evolve them to that state, I would assume they will be ok together for a short while.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Prevx by itself it going to be the way to go.

9. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

trjam,

just a couple of weeks ago, you were touting Online Armor and one other security app as ALL you were using. What happened to change your mind (about OA)? And how long have you been using PrevX to come to this conclusion?

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I had a BSOD with the beta of OA. I had been a user of Prevx for a long time but hadnt used it since it had been updated twice. I really like what they have done, it is working great, but yesm time will tell as far as protection. But for me it is fine. OA still has a good way to go in beta.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

have you tried a stable relased version of OA along side prevx?
    because they could be a great combo
    lodore

12. JRCATES

OK, thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking might be the case (regarding your experience with and the direction of OA). Glad you confirmed that for me, though. :thumb:

BTW....exactly what changes have been made with PrevX? I know I lost interest in it when they included anti-virus....but it appears that has now been removed (?).....

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the scanner has been streamlined, personally to me it is lighter on my PC, and it actually has detected a few things that were not FPs.:rolleyes:

14. JRCATES

Sorry, but what do you mean by "scanner"? Is that an "anti-MALWARE" scanner...that could be run resident alongside an AV like, say, NOD32? Or is it a scanner that is actually meant to REPLACE any existing AV component? The reason I ask, is because according to most people, it's not recommended to run TWO AV's at the same time...

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It does an initial scan of your programs on installation. It can be set to scan at different intervals of your programs. It isnt like a taditional AV scanner, I would suggest visiting their site to read about it. It will work along with most AV products. One of my favorite combos with it is Antivir.

16. Bio-Hazard

Do you have any idea when the version 2 is out? I want to buy Online armor, i am just waiting for the final realese of version 2.

Have you experienced any problems?

17. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi

BSOD's I would say are pretty much par for the course with beta products and IMHO should not carry any weight in evaluating publicly released stable versions of the same product.

@Ciderman77 - I am beta testing the new OA and Prevx1 hasn't grumbled at all to my knowledge. I haven't run any current OA with Prevx but my guess is that if works with the beta it will work well with the current V 1 of OA.

18. Bio-Hazard

Thanks Old Monk! It is day 3 and everything is fine.I am really happy with my current security set up. Just waiting for the final release of version 2, any dates yet. What is the biggest improvement in version 2?

19. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

For me - the firewall :)

Although, its also in Kernel mode now (hence the nice Beta BSODs) - a full list of stuff we have done is available over 'ere : http://support.online-armor.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=537

As for dates - we've slipped a bit - but we're still pushing forward. I'd hoped end jan/start feb... now I plan to release to public beta before we go gold, just to make sure.

20. Old Monk

You're welcome Ciderman :)

Having not used Version 1 for a very long time I'm probably not the most informed as so say what the significant improvements between 1 and 2 are (other than of course the options of OA plus AV and OA plus Firewall)

I'd suggest you have a read of Mike Nash's sticky over at the OA forums to get an overview as to what the enhancements are.

As to release, again I'm not best placed to comment but the forums have some insight on that also.

For me, having tried an awful lot over the last few months I'm fairly certain that both OA and Prevx will be keepers on my set up which is not dissimilar to your own (ShadowSurfer as opposed to Power Shadow and LnS as opposed to Comodo firewall)

21. Old Monk

Aw shucks Mike, I can't even beat you to the post here at Wilders :D

22. Bio-Hazard

Thak you very much. I had a look at the link you provided....looks very intresting! So is it worth buying version 1 or should i wait for version to be finished? I mean if you own version 1, am i able to upgrade to versaion 2 for free? When is the public beta out?

Keep up the good work!!

23. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Well, Public beta might be a week off. As for buying v1 - I personally think v1 is worth it , and yes its a free upgrade to v2... but its obviously your decision to make.

24. Bio-Hazard

Thats good news. I have been trying all kinds of programs and set ups i have finally found security set up that i am happy with. Online Armor is definately going to be part of it...so you will have my business. Thank you, i hope that public beta testing goes well and v2 will be out soon...GOOD LUCK.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.