Can not use mouse with Recovery Manager

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pressman, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pressman

pressman Registered Member

Hi guys,
    Have installed Acronis TI 10 Home. Tested the start up recovery by pressing F11. Recovery manager starts and indicates that usb take over failed? It then goes to the option screen to restore or boot normally, at this point the mouse is working! When it gets to the next screen where you choose which operation is needed the mouse no longer works? I have to use a MS mouse(usb) as my current keyboard and mouse is wireless. Anyone had the same or similar problem and cured it. Please let me know. XP Home SP2. Thanks in advance.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

This is a known problem with TI9 and 10 for some USB/wireless setups.

The things to try are:

Choose the safe option from the rescue CD. It is possible that if your MB is quite modern, the hardware can operate the mouse rather than the Linux drivers. However, expect slow operation if talking to a USB external drive, it'll run at standard speed, rather than full or high.

Choose full option and press F11 and wait for the command line to pop up with the words quiet....... add in acpi=noapic and usbmouse=off press enter and see if that works. You should then have full control of your mouse and USB drive.

Raise a support ticket, run the Acronis requested system information logs. Email them to Acronis who will then send you a link to an ISO version of a boot CD specifically for your system. This is great, except for every new build where they haven't fixed this problem, you'll need to ask them for a new version of the CD.

Install and use BartPe as this uses Windows drivers, all your problems are not ours and neither will be your bases! :)

Colin

3. pressman

If it is known problem why do'nt Acronis release a patch for it. I guess I like many others have paid good money for this programme, we should not have to do and make changes for an error in the software. Having said that, can you explain "how" and where to make the changes you mention.

4. pressman

Hi Guys,
    Current situation: Un-installed Acronis TI 10 Home completely including all registry keys found according to Acronis info. Re-installed "typical set up", created "boot cd" (full version) created "secure zone", did not activate "Recovery Manager", backed up drive C to secure zone, connected an MS optical mouse by PS/2. I found out that activating the Recovery Manager overwrites the MBR which I repaired using the XP disc in recovery mode. Re-booted using boot cd, still got the message "usb take over failed" but now the mouse works? Could it be the re-installation, or, not activating the Recovery Manager that has made the difference? Still can not understand the "usb takeover failed" message? Do not want to activate Recovery Manager in case it was that causing the error in the first place. Anyone at Acronis got any views on this as it appears to be a common fault.

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

6. pressman

shieber,
    Thanks for the link.
    As I indicated in my previous post Acronis should be responsible for making the changes, which should be a global exercise, not on an "ask for" basis. As I said, using an MS PS/2 mouse and not activating the Recovery Manager seems to work using the boot recovery cd. I would suggest that the problem lies within the Recovery Manager files/drivers/set up. Surely there must be people at Acronis who can sort this out, for what appears to be a problem for many many people.

7. the-void

the-void Registered Member

I have the same problem. I have become very adept at using the keyboard to perform all the same tasks I would with a mouse. :D So much in fact that I think using a mouse would be slower...

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Rather than pay ever more royalties to Gates, ATI uses Linux as the OS on the Recovery Disk. Unfortunately, despite all the ballyhoo for Linux, the drivers aren't as complete or up-to-date as those in Windows. I'm sure, if Acronis can find more/better Linux drivers it will include them.

One can get around this by using BartPE, which puts Windows OS on a recovery disk (not necessarily within the EULA for Windows but Acronis provides the basic stuff need using BartPE and then you're on your own as far as licensing goes). Making the BartPE disk is much more complicated than just clicking on the Make a Boot Recovery Disk icon, so I'd consider it at best a workaround but it's one that works for many folks. And some folks prefer using BartPE anyway -- not jsut for ATI but other progs as well -- and, I suppose, some folks, just like stickin' it to the man ;-)

sh

9. diverlee

diverlee Registered Member

I have a similar problem, as far back as version 7. I use an MS Optical PS2 mouse though a switch so I can use the same mouse and keyboard on multiple PCs. Whenever I booted from a recovery disk, the mouse wouldn't work. Now I just make a note to self on each new recovery CD to remember to plug in my old (spare) PS2 mouse directly into the PC before booting and while using the CD. No problems since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.