can not remove Windows ME file [ZLT......tmp]

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chiliman, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiliman

chiliman Registered Member

can not remove Windows ME file

Hi

This is my first post. Thank you for your patience.

I am trying to remove \windows\templ\ZLTo_O??.TMP from my system.

When I try to remove the file I get the 'file in use' message. I have booted from a startup disk. DIR does not show any files in the temp directory. When I boot to Windows the file appears with different numbers in the ?'s. The size is 0.

Q1: How do I identify what program is holding this file open?

I have Norton Anti Virus, Zone Alarm Pro, Pest Patrol, AOL Spyware protection, and Cache Washer. None identify the program in question.

Q2: Could the problem program be found in autoexec, system or other dos level boot programs?

Once the program is identified, I chould be back with a question on the best way to remove it safely.

Thanks

Chiliman

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Re: can not remove Windows ME file

That file is generated by Zone Alarm and is present whenever ZA is running.

Effectively, it is a lock file - used for some purpose by the ZA components, such as verification that ZA is still running (still holding that file open and locked). You'll always have that file while ZA is on. If you were to shutdown ZA while running (without shutting down your system) the file would go away. (Be cautious though. If you are going to shutdown ZA disconnect from the Internet first. Then after that, restart to get your protection running again.)

If your system ever crashes, when you boot up you should have two ZLT......tmp files there. Because the system crashed while ZA was running it never got to shutdown properly, so the old TMP file will not be deleted. When the new ZA process starts at bootup, it makes another. You can then delete the old one because ZA is only using the new one.

I'll move this thread over to the other firewalls section a little later.

3. chiliman

chiliman Registered Member

Thank You :)

I feel better. I have 35 years in data processing and I still find things that confuse me, especially undocumented processes or files. At times it drives me crazy.

I will give up my efforts to remove it and not worry about it.

Chiliman

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Glad to help. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.