Can not get rid of antivir

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Molen, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Molen

Molen Registered Member

Hello all,

I have been trying to uninstall antivir from Avira.
    I have tried some of the things suggested in previous threads. ie:

In control panel click on Administrative Tools, then Services, from the list of services find Windows Management Instrumentation right click mouse and from dropdown list stop the service.

Find folder C:\windows\system32\wbem, inside this folder identify the repository folder and delete only this folder (the repository folder) from your computer.

In Administrative Tools find Windows Management Instrumentation service again, and re-start the service by right clicking mouse and pressing start from dropdown list. Restarting this service re-builds the repository folder database on your computer, which should now only contain information about your currently installed antivirus & firewall programs.

To reset the Windows Security Centre you must re-boot your computer, hopefully this will cure your problems

Howerver when I try to delete the repository folder I get the message cannot delete INDEX.BTR
    Using unblocker I got one step further but the I got the message: can not delete avgnt.exe access is denied.
    Unblocker does not help here.
    Any suggestions?

greetings Molen

2. cheli2400

cheli2400 Registered Member

I also cannot get rid of Anti Vir Free, could use some help.:mad:

3. cheli2400

Re: Hard to lose?

:mad: :mad: Finally got rid of the darn thing, had to delete the drivers, run 4 or 5 registry cleaners, manually delete a few things too. What a pain. Only thing left is the application in the add/remove programs. I'm afraid to touch that because uninstall never finishes. Would'nt go near this program again with a ten foot pole, no matter how good people say it is. Should never be that hard to uninstall ANY PROGRAM!!!!:'(

4. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Re: Hard to lose?

The instructions that Molen was trying to follow had nothing to do with removing AntiVir, just resetting the Windows Security Centre AV/FW listing.

Add/Remove Programs would be the first place to go to remove AntiVir.

AVIRA (as well as other AntiVirus Program suppliers) does offer Tools for your use in removal as well as a Registry clean tool.

Security applications hook so deeply into your system that they often difficult to remove. Other security apps (like registry protection) can add to the difficulty.

Safest way to 'Trial' any Security Application would be to have a 'System Snapshot' to restore following the Trial.

A Trial would be highly recommended for any Security Application, but you need to have a recovery method beyond "Windows Restore" available.

(Unless you enjoy a job like Format C:\ -> Install Windows, you should have this capability, for far more reasons than just 'trials'.)

You might think so, but there are many other Security Programs even harder (SSM & ZA for two) to uninstall.

5. cheli2400

Re: SSM too

You're rite, SSM is murder to get rid of too.:mad:

6. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I had an old version of AntiVir Free that I had no problem getting uninstalled. I however went back to it after a year or so and still use it. I do have Window Security telling me it detects more then one AV. However, I do not believe this is left over old AntiVir. I do not know what it would be like to get unistalled today, based on what is being said here not good. I think I really have left over CA EZ AV 2005.

I do feel your pain the EZ remains in the Add/Remove and no matter what I do it will not go away it keeps coming back. I have bore down into the system and it appears to be the Smiling Sammy Safe thing. I am not sure. But while this is really stupid and I like things clean, the bottom line is there is no system impact the unistalled part is harmless.

I do know what you mean this should not be the way it is. :p

7. pilotart

Recall that Microsoft Power Tools' TweakUI could be used to remove 'leftover's from Add/Remove.

I am looking forward to removal of the EZ-Trust Antivirus Program.o_O

Have printed bigc73542 Retired Moderator's instructions from this post.

She has been using for two years now and renewal is due.

Am considering installing AntiVir Classic in its place, based on its excellent preformance on my systems.:thumb:

Have no useable 'snapshot' from two years ago, but you can bet I will have one prior to an AntiVir install.:D

8. daddymo3

daddymo3 Registered Member

I didn't have a problem uninstalling BUT,I have JV16 Power Tools(used for reg.cleaning) ran it,and found 72 reg.keys left behind.

9. pilotart

Each Update reads Registry and creates entries like this:
    I use AVIRA's Registry Tool and then after reboot, search regedit for any H+BEDV entries.

Here is a link to the AVIRA Tools website.

Have also seen this (from AVIRA PDF)o_O
    Not sure what is meant or what would happen from the above action.:blink:

Have great respect for dangers of registry actions.:isay:

10. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

Just the opposite here - can't INSTALl Avira!
    I get a pop-up box saying the path name is too long - 49 characters max!

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Long thread here.

12. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

Thanks for the link to this interesting discussion.

My daughter's PC, on which I have been trying to install Avira has indeed, a Spanish version of XP.[She moved back to the UK complete with her Spanish PC]
    Whilst I can quite easily follow the instructions to modify the registry, I do not wish to modify the registry as I will not be here in the UK to fix any possible future problems.
    So I've installed Avast! which, funnily enough, found a virus missed by AVG, her previous AV and NOD32, my own AV installed on a trial basis.

I might try Avira on my laptop when my paid licence for NOD runs out. At least, having bought my machine in the UK, it has English XP on it!
    Any recommendations for a good free AV for my daughter gratefully received. (Before tomorrow as we're back to the sun then!

13. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If it appears to run okay then leave Avast on her machine.
    If not, then AOL's Active Virus Shield would be a good choice (without installing the toolbar during install).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.