Can Kindle be set up and registered without computer?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roark37, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Hi, I have an unusual question. Can the Kindle(any of them but primarily Kindle Touch) be used as a completely stand alone device without a computer? I want to buy one and set up my amazon new account from it, register the Kindle, and do everything needed without ever connecting to computer. Does anyone know if that is even possible? Thanks.

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Not possible, according to my experience. For example, I once subscribed to a newspaper by accident, from the Kindle. The subscription could only be canceled from the computer.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

4. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

I just unregistered my Kindle touch & it seems I can make a new account from kindle. What you want to do next it's a bit unclear to me.

5. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I am surprised it can't be done as I would have thought by now it would be an option. I just did not want to bother with the computer at all and am not sure why all the initial set up, creating new account, and then buying books could not be done directly on the device. I know when the ipad first came out it could not be even activated without computer and then they changed that so it all could be done on the device. I know several people with ipads that have no interest in transferring music or syncing and their ipads have never even been hooked up to a computer as for everything else it is not necessary and figured and hoped the Kindle would be the same but I guess not.

6. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Kindle is supposed to be used without the computer. I am not sure what you cannot do without a computer but you can certainly set an Amazon account, browse and download books from Amazon website from your kindle. In fact, as an advertisement, the system requirements listed for kindle are that it does not require any computer to work.

Scroll down to Technical details

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.