Can individual CD image parts be copied to DVD ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Defenestration, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I have created an image of my system which spans several CD-R's. I wanted to know if it's OK to copy each part of the image onto a single DVD-R, and whether TI will just use the image parts when restoring without displaying a requester, thereby allowing me to restore my system without any user interaction.

Anyone know if this works ?

2. Down_Under

Down_Under Guest

3. Defenestration

No I'm not. This is a question about TI.

The reason I wanted to create the image on a CD-R first is because I don't have a DVD burner on one of my systems and the systems aren't networked. Therefore I created an image of my system on CD-R's. When restoring the image, I have to swap the CD-R's due to it being spanned across several CD-R's. I want to copy the individual .tib files from each CD-R onto a single DVD-R so that when I restore the image, it will read all parts of the image from the DVD-R, without the need for me to swap any discs .

I will probably go ahead and try it anyway, but I just wanted to know if anyone else has tried it with success ?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Defenestration,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

If you plan to restore system partition you should use DVD-RW, DVD+RW or DVD+R rather than DVD-R. Please make sure that you write the image parts to UDF formatted DVD.

Thank you.

--
    Ilya Toytman

5. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Defenestration:

It should work. Why not just give it a shot?

6. Defenestration

wdormann - I'm going to try it anyway, to DVD-R since that's all I've currently.

Acronis - Why can't I use DVD-R ?

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Defenestration,

Current version of Acronis True Image doesn't support DVD-R. We expect the support of this type of DVD to be implemented in future versions. Please use DVD+R or DVD+RW, DVD-RW instead.

Thank you.

--
    Ilya Toytman

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Ilya

When you say TI doesn't support DVD-R can we assume you meant it can't write images direct to DVD-R? It can certainly read images that have been burnt to DVD-R via third party software such as Nero, using the alternative two-step method detailed in the True Image Online FAQ.

By the way, I feel the TI User's Guide is somewhat misleading as the current wording in both Chapter 4.4 and Chapter 11.2 seems to indicate that DVD-R media could be used for automatic image creation direct to DVD (i.e. the use of the term DVD-R/RW instead of DVD-RW).

Regards

9. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the OP was talking about copying already-created images to DVD. (Using Nero or whatever burning software)

This is solely a function of the burning software used, and whether the rescue CD can read normal DVD-R discs. (Which it can)

10. daMonkey

daMonkey Guest

I use DVD-R to burn my image files, I just set the file size to 1 GB, and let it create as many parts as it needs, it still numbers them sequentially. Burn em all to DVD-R and TI has no problem with seeing them all. If you have the individual files under 2GB then you don't have to use UDF. I burn them using Nero 5.5.10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.