Can i use the same DVD for repeated Images?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by poirot, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poirot

poirot Registered Member

I successfully created an Image , made an Incremental a few days later and then i Restored it a few weeks later using an UDF formatted (as prescribed by Acronis Manual) DVD + RW. This restored Image (about 2.4GB)actually works fine.
    As i dont have an enormous amount of data to back up (about 1GB in a 93.1 GB HD) ,but i add new files about everyday, i thought the best policy would be to make one Disk1-C: complete Image every 20-30 days without Incrementals which fits on just one DVD, and separately (not with ATI)backup the data files by using USB external HD, either manually or using a freeware software (candidates: Simply Safe BackUp or Easy BackUp).
    Question is:
    I use HP DLA , Sonic Recording Software in my HP notebook.
    I formatted each DVD + RW i used with Acronis with the UDF method,
    Can i use the same DVD again to place there a new Acronis Image?
    Shall i have to format,delete the existing files BEFORE creating a new Image?
    Or will Acronis take care of it all,overwriting the previous one?
    Or is it better to use new ones everytime?
    Any tip in order not to make mistakes and assure the correct creating of the new Image?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Poirot,

I'm not familiar with Sonic Recording Software. However, using Nero's UDF packet writing equivalent (i.e. InCD), TI will overwrite an existing image provided it's given the same name as the original. To clarify. Say I elect to create an image to DVD called BackupC.tib. TI will automatically split this into approx 2GB chunks and will burn up to a maximum of three .tib files per DVD, naming them BackupC1.tib, BackupC2.tib and BackupC3.tib. To overwrite these with a newer full image it must be named BackupC.tib again not BackupC1.tib.

Regards

3. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Menorcaman, you're great! i say this not only because you replied to me now,but because i've been reading you in this section for the last 3 months.

The Sonic writing packet,if i understood right,should be the same as Roxio as i guess Sonic bought some functionalities from them,in any case Sonic has all the basic needed functions to do anything with DVDs.
    So, no problem, and the only thing i should do is leaving the name unchanged and do a new image as usual,fine, i presume Acronis will ask permission to overwrite.
    Just one more thing to take advantage of your expertise,Menorcaman:
    considering i'll make one full image about every 3 weeks,
    would you prefer to make data Backups of one or two given folders to a USB external HD or directly to CDs / DVDs?
    Is there a way to use Acronis for imaging just a few selected folders (apart from Incrementals)? Not that i have anything against Incrementals-i just made one and it worked out fine-but ,as my situation is very simple, i strive to keep things as simple as possible.

4. mrtee

mrtee Registered Member

No, Sonic bought Roxio.

Sonic CD/DVD mastering software works great, I have been using their products RecordNow, DLA (UDF packet writing), Cine player for 4 years now without problems.

Just drag and drop to the DVD/CD.

5. Menorcaman

Hi again poirot,

No, it will just overwrite straight away.

Because of the nature of the beast (in-use sector based imaging), Acronis doesn't backup individual files or folders. To be honest, unless you have more than, say, 15GB of programs and data on your main drive, it's just as quick and easy to create a full image each time. Use the Explore Image function and TI will mount the image as a virtual drive from which you can copy individual files and/or folder back to your hard drive if need be.

As to the question on whether I would prefer to image to external USB HD or direct to CD/DVD? Give me the external HD any time!! It's a lot quicker and there's much less risk of obtaining corrupt images. Having said that, I do archive a separate image onto DVD roughly once a month as insurrance against a HD failure.

You need to be selective in your choice of external USB hard drive because not all are detected by TI after booting from the Linux based bootable rescue CD. Also, some external drives suffer from data corruption when dealing with very large files (e.g. TI images!!). If not already seen, have a read of these threads titled <Who DOES NOT have a problem with corrupt images...> and <External USB/Firewire drives that work> to see what I mean.

Regards

6. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Yes ,mrtee, Sonic DLA works fine,it seems to me a very good program,but i only have it since a couple of months.

Thanks for the links Menorcaman,i went through it all this morning and certainly it was difficult,but i now understand a few things better.
    So i think i'll buy an external HD which has a NEC Chipset if i can find one,
    otherwise i'll ask again here before purchasing it.
    In any case to Create or Restore images i'll have to go DVD+RW (or alternatevely Create Images on USB HD and then-if need be-put them on DVD),because i have to add 'nousb' to the existing 'quiet' when 'Acronis starts loading' ,otherwise the CD wont boot and i am not able to Restore.

7. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

Can Nero Rom V 6.6.03 or Alcohol 120 % be used instead for what U Guys are discussing here o_O

8. Menorcaman

Hi niteghost,

My CD/DVD burning software of choice is Ahead's Nero Burning ROM (currently v6.6.0.13) for ISO or UDF compilations and Ahead InCD for UDF packet writing (i.e. drag-and-drop). Using these with my setup, I can successfully burn images to DVD, either direct from TI with InCD as the third-party packet writer or as Nero compilations via the alternative two-step method. When recording images to DVD as Nero compilations I minimize the risk of corrupt images by burning at half maximum speed.

I've never tried Alcohol 120% so can't comment but hopefully someone else will chip on this.

Regards

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  9. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman,

I have tried time and time again to do images to DVD. I have TI 8.0 and Nero 6 Ultra Edition w/latest patches. I have read the FAQ at Acronis and it confused me.

Would you be so kind as to post the steps for this procedure? I wouldn't know what module to use in Nero to format this DVD, nor do I have a clear understanding of what it means. I just had to reformat my computer last night for the second time in three weeks.

I was completely locked out of OS, and even with recovery disk from HP, couldn't restore. I remember I made a bootable rescue disk with TI three days prior to this, so I thought I was saved. I put the CD in drive and it asked me to select an image from tree below; I thought the image was on the disk, but, I did not know what to select, even if I did, the "Next" button was greyed out, you couldn't even select it if you wanted too. I don't know what happened, but I'm so tired of losing everything all the time.

I found that WormGuard blocked me from doing the restore. The WG window popped up and said this file is blocked, I then chose the option to run it anyway, and it didn't work.

As you can see that's why I'm asking for your help and expertise!

I have a 200GB BusLink HD (External), that I will use once I understand the software. It's been a long 18 hours trying to put my computer back together, I still have more to go.

Anything anyone can help with, would be greatly appreciated!

10. Menorcaman

Hello Rilla927,

Before I walk you through the steps on how to image to DVD please advise which method you intend to use:

A. Image direct from TI to a UDF preformatted DVD +/-RW. As you use Ahead's Nero 6 I will need to assume that you have downloaded and installed the <latest version of Ahead's InCD (Update-Package 3)>.

or

B. Image to a hard drive and then burn the image to DVD as a Nero compilation.

I'm not sure whether there is any user interface differences between your Nero 6 Ultra Edition and my Nero Burning ROM v6.6.0.13. Therefore, in order that we are both singing from the same song sheet, I recommend that you download and install the <latest version of Ahead's Nero 6 Reloaded (Update-Package 1 & 2)>.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.