Can I use SpywareGuard with Citrix Server?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Bill Sorenson, Dec 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. We run a small Citrix farm and publish the desktop which includes IE. We have spyware problems all the time. Can I run SpywareGuard on our servers and will it protect all the users?

Thanks

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I don't see why it wouldn't work - but SpywareBlaster might be much more effective, especially since you are using IE. (Also, SpywareGuard is not really made for such an environment, and requires interaction on the user's part if spyware is detected or a browser setting change is detected - you just set up SpywareBlaster and it will block ActiveX spyware installs, plus disable most known ActiveX spyware if it is installed - plus SpywareBlaster doesn't have to run in the background to provide protection).

When you say you publish the desktop - is the registry also published? If so there should be no reason why SpywareBlaster wouldn't work and help prevent ActiveX spyware installs for all users.

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. SpywareBlaster sounds great. Which Hive does it work in? With our environment, everyone gets the "normal" registries. If it works in LocalMachine, then it should be perfect. If its CurrentUser, then would each person would have to run it?

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

SpywareBlaster's main protection, its ActiveX-spyware blocking, works in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE branch.

The IE 6 spyware/tracking cookie blocking works in the CurrentUser portion of the registry - but IMHO the most important protection (by far) is the spyware blocking, and it sounds like that will work in your environment without any problems.

I have been working on a network version of SpywareBlaster - I'll have more details when it's closer to completion. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.