Can I use NOD32 to scan incoming mail streams before/as they arrive?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by PTRACER, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PTRACER

PTRACER Registered Member

We're running a mailgate and an SBS server at work and we want to "cheapen" things up a little and get rid of the mailgate. This means mail will come in on the main file server and the incoming mail stream must be scanned either before or as it's coming in.

Can NOD32 do this?

It's not acceptable for the email (and attachments) to be downloaded fully and THEN scanned.

2. PTRACER

Okay, I got it a bit wrong...

I was informed that MS Exchange would be used on the server as well, so all incoming emails would be pointed directly at the server's IP address. Therefore, there'd be no POP3 server involved at all.

Would NOD32 be able to scan incoming emails sent in this way?

3. GhostMan

GhostMan Eset Staff Account

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    That is a component of SBS...so you were correct. SBS includes Exchange.

Eset has a special "Bundle" package for Small Business Server....which includes both Enterprise Edition, and the Exchange component called XMON.

5. PTRACER

So we can do away with the mailgate and NOD32's XMON will scan the incoming mail stream?

6. PTRACER

We're basically running a separate mail server with Symantec Corporate Edition on it. We want to do away with this mail server, so all email comes into the main server. Apparently, Symantec Corporate Edition doesn't work (or doesn't work properly) on SBS so it can't be used. So therefore, when emails are sent to our email address, they just get sent directly to the server's IP. These emails have to be scanned before they are downloaded onto the server. Is this possible with NOD32 (or ANY antivirus product)?

To be honest, I don't have a clue what I'm talking about, I'm not savvy with server stuff at all, I'm just going by what I've been told. I'm very much a novice.

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I can't answer as to what exact point XMON will scan the e-mail as it arrives into the Exchange server. As it's written to the store, or on port 25 as it arrives...or somewhere in between..I have a feeling the answer will be to gray for you.

Why not find a "smart host"...99% of my SBS and Exchange clients...I'm partnered with a web/mail host...that does a smart host service for me. He collects the e-mail..passes it through his SPAM and antivirus servers...then delivers it to my Exchange servers. I also gain in the ability to build an ACL on the router between my clients and his server..so port 25 isn't exposed to the world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.