Can I use AVG anti syware's file shredder to shred an infected file???

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cheater87, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

What would happen if instead of cleaning or quarantining an infected file I shredded it 10 times using AVG anti spyware's shredder featureo_O I was thinking about this yesterday. Can shredding destroy the infection if you shred every file thats infectedo_O?

2. cheater87

Anyone know if this can work?

3. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Yes, this can work.Quarantine (or, if you must, deletion) is usually adequate, though. Once a file has been quarantined/subsequently deleted, it ain't gonna run, unless the user deliberately runs a recovery program to restore it.

Out of curiosity, what's the file, and type of infection?

4. cheater87

Oh I'm not infected. This is just an idea I came up with a few days ago and I wanted to see what other people thought of it.

5. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I guess if you were certain a file was not a false positive, then it's a good means to destroy it forever. I mean, if you're in the habit of restoring unidentified deleted files.
    I don't know of any malware files that can recreate themselves from a deleted state, don't think it's possible, but I'm no expert.

6. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Shredding/quarantining only works for dormant malware AFAIK. Consider memory-resident malware, that can re-spawn itself after file(s) have been deleted. Either by restoring a hidden copy or re-downloading itself.

And I agree with Tarq57, Quarantining/deleting is enough. Overwriting the file 10 times is *just* overkill, nothing more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.