can i use an ipod nano 7g 16gb without itunes?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

CRAP: I thought I had found one for you,,,,,sorry about that.

2. popol0909

popol0909 Registered Member

"CopyTrans" is not free but "CopyTrans Manager" is. Unfortunately, "CopyTrans Manager" does not support ipod nano 7g at this time. When you run it, you will get:
    "iPod Nano 7G (...) is not fully supported yet.
    Changes to iPod Nano 7G (...) are not possible.
    "​

[EDIT]

iTunes is not installed on my PC. I downloaded MediaMonkey, I installed it and it works with my ipod nano 7g. I have to tell you it crashed once, though, but it works.

I might try the portable recipe.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I ended up installing the driver "Apple Mobile Device" and using MediaMonkey. Not what I really wanted to do, but it works and at least itunes isn't installed.

I can't remember how I got just the driver on however.

If you cannot avoid apple devices (like I cannot with the kids buying their own) then at least the driver lets you choose from a good number of managers.

Sul.

4. bgoodman4

Thats good to hear,,,,but it would be better if you remembered how you did it so others could do likewise. Still, 1 PC that does not need Itunes is better than no PCs that need to have it installed. Well done.

5. frank7

frank7 Registered Member

Got an ipod nano 6g as an advertising present. Using CopyTrans Manager and never having used the ipod nano 6g with itunes I get following error: iPod library could not be found.

Then CopyTrans Manager opens this help link: http://www.copytrans.net/support/i-...ng-that-my-ipod-library-could-not-be-found-2/

Under the first help point it says:

"If you don’t want to install iTunes on your computer and if you prefer to use CopyTrans Manager to organize your iPod, you can synchronize your iPod on any computer you want (friends, family, colleagues…). CopyTrans programs work independent from iTunes libraries."

So basically they are telling you to see a friend that has itunes installed so it can "initialize" the ipod nano with a library and only after that you can use CopyTrans Manager.

Quite deceiving if you ask me. Thought CopyTrans Manager would work completely without itunes. Posting this for people that have never used their ipod with any itunes and still want to use it without itues. Oh how I hate itunes and apple. This once again confirms it.

6. bgoodman4

This thread is about this particular issue and if you read it you will see how the problem has finally been dealt with by the person who started the thread. The issue is not with any program that was being used to avoid iTunes but with Apple making it difficult for these programs to function as designed. I have no doubt at some point someone will create a program that will be able to circumvent the blocks that Apple has built into the latest generation of pods but when that will happen is anyones guess.

7. frank7

frank7 Registered Member

But I have read the thread. In the end the apple drivers are installed and either MM or another software is used to operate the ipod. Still apple drivers are installed, no real gain and all the other software that promises to be able to let one use the ipod without itunes actually requires some part of itunes or apple drivers for the ipod to work or have I misunderstood something in the thread?

8. frank7

frank7 Registered Member

Also I have just found out that CopyTransManager installs the needed apple drivers during its installation. So it should work without itunes as lined out here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2161236&postcount=17 however it does not seem to work for me. Keep getting the "library missing" error from CopyTransManager. Yes, of course the library is missing since I have never used the ipod before. Oh the joy. If anyone has an idea what I am doing wrong, please do let me know, read the thread very carefully at least 3 times by now. Seems the solution given here does not work with ipod 6g.

9. frank7

frank7 Registered Member

So basically what I need is to find a way to initialize the ipod 6g and upload some sort of empty library or "unlock" the device to then successfully use CopyTransManager. If any one has an idea how to do that, please fill me in. Thanks.

10. bgoodman4

I would suggest contacting CopyTransManager support. They would most likely be in the best position to help you with this.

11. adrenaline7

adrenaline7 Registered Member

copytrans manager works like normal drag and drop on my old ipod shuffle, I "won" a 6th gen nano at work and about went crazy trying to find a work around so I just gave it away.

I would just buy a mp3 player you can load songs on without putting 5-6 drivers and 2 new services on your desktop or laptop.

12. frank7

frank7 Registered Member

Will try CopyTransManager support and if that does not work will most possibly give it away. Thanks all.

A message to all people reading this thread:

As of now, when using CopyTransManager (free) with your ipod 6g, you need to plug it into itunes at least once to be able to initialize it (at least I do). I am on the case with CTM support and will post results here as they come in.

13. bgoodman4

Thanks Frank, I look forward to hearing what support has to say about this, hopefully its good news.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.