Can I skip / exclude these files on True Image backup?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pcumming, Dec 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcumming

pcumming Registered Member

Have TI10.

Just did a search on C drive for files larger than about 15 MB.

Is it okay to EXCLUDE the following under Windows XP and still have the restore work okay and have Win XP come up fine:
    1. Pagefile.sys - I am pretty sure this is ok to exclude in XP.
    2. data.cache ?
    3. files ending in *.msp (not sure about these since they are part of patch installs) ?
    4. dbcache.dat ?
    5. main_file.cache.dat ?

Any cab files I can exclude?
    Others?

I know there are quite a few older msi files for prior Java runtime version that are probably not needed.

My goal is to try to eliminate large files that are either not needed or Windows XP will recreate.

Thank you
    Peter

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If you want to restore the entire operating system and programs as well as data, you want to do a partition (drive letter) image. When you choose to make an image, you can't select any files to be eliminated. However, TrueImage will exclude the swap file since it will be recreated after a restore.

Files and folders can be selected or de-selected from a files and folder backup, but that will not restore the full system.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I fyou want to play around with deleting files. First make an image of hte source drive as is, then delete the files and see if the drive still boots and all your programs orperate correctly. If not, then you can restore the original image. If so, then you can make a new image of the drive with the files deleted.

ATI automatically ignores certain system files that aren't necessary to restore a drive, like the hibernation file, etc.

sh

4. pcumming

pcumming Registered Member

jmk94903, sure you can exclude files when making an image. There is an option for that since version 8.

I did deleted the files I mentioned for items 1,2,4,5 and all went fine.

Number 3 upon research will cause a problem for future updates / patches of Office and other Windows Update related files.

Thanks, Peter

5. jmk94903

No, not when imaging an entire partion or drive which is required to ensure that the partition is bootable. Files can be selected/de-selected when making a file/folder backup.

6. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Do not use a file based backup, use only an image based backup.

If you KNOW that certain files can be deleted, delete them BEFORE the IMAGE backup.

7. jmk94903

Hi Peter,

I thought I'd post the section from the TI ver 9 manual here which explains that files can only be selected for exclusion when you are doing a file/folder backup just for clarity. It's certainly not clear that that is the case from the TrueImage menus.

"5.3.2 Source files exclusion
    The default setting – all files from the selected folders will be included into the archive.
    You can set the default filters for not to back up files of specific types. For example, you may want hidden and system files and folders, as well as files with .~, .tmp and .bak extensions, not to be stored in the archive.
    You can also apply custom filters, using the common Windows masking rules. For example, to exclude all files with extension .exe, add *.exe mask. Myo_O.exe mask will reject all .exe files with names, consisting of five symbols and starting with “my”.
    This option is effective for file/folders backup only. When creating a disk/partition image, you cannot filter out any files."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.