Can I not create a DVD+R/-RW disc file size?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bwbeye, Feb 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwbeye

bwbeye Registered Member

Silly question, can I not create a 4.7 GB file size (to burn later) and/or burn direct to my DVD burner? My file size choice appears to be only for CD Roms and not for DVD's, is this correct?

Thank you!

2. dymfg

dymfg Registered Member

3. bwbeye

bwbeye Registered Member

I believe 2000mb & 4000mb equals 2 or 4 gigabytes?, so on a 4.7 GB DVD disc I can safely create 4500mb files (4.5 GB) to fit on an average 4.7 GB DVD disc?, and this could go directly to my DVD burner... although come to think of it Acronis doesn't seem to recognize my DVD burners, is this "normal"? or do I have to create the DVD size Acronis files to my HDD and then burn to a DVD disc?

Thank you!

4. howie123

howie123 Registered Member

To burn directly to DVD, you need to format your DVD's using UDF packet-writing software such as InCD or DirectCD (Drag-to-Disc). I find the formatting process to be too time consuming, especially if I need a few DVD's to fit the image. I personally use Nero's UDF DVD burning feature to burn DVD sized, split HDD images to regular, blank DVD+R's. No packet writing format is required beforehand using this method. By the way, I believe 4812MB will fit on a blank DVD (4.7GB).

[EDIT] Actually, Nero says my DVD+R capacity is 4483MB (see below).

Attached Files:

• dvdr.jpg
      dvdr.jpg
      File size:
      27.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  5. bwbeye

bwbeye Registered Member

Thanks for your rapid, excellent, and precise response! So from what I gather I can either specify the size of the DVD file (4700MB) while creating the image, save to my HDD and then burn, or create a complete image to HDD and then use Nero's burning software to burn (Nero will auto split the image) to DVD. Sound about right? I assume I can use DVD+RW's for the job so I can re-burn future complete images on the same disc's?, and is there a way to incrementally upgrade the DVD's to another file and/or DVD?, I would assume an image file residing on my HDD would be necessary to do this and won't be a problem since the DVD copy is just to get a copy off my HDD just in case.

Thanks again!

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bwbeye,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please note that if you create the complete image you won't be able to split it after the creation. In your case you may either specify the size of the image part (4700Mb, however, we recommend you to use 2000Mb for the sake of compatibility) and store these parts to HDD to burn them to DVDs later or you may format your DVDs in UDF and then set your DVD burner as the storage of the image. In this case you won't need to split the image manually becuase Acronis True Image will do it automatically.

Please note that your DVD burner will be displayed as CD burner in Acronis True Image.

You may create the incremental image to DVDs (or CDs) but you will need to insert previous DVDs (or CDs) with the full image. It is recommended that you label each disk while creating the back up. The wizard will ask you for certain disk and these labels will be very useful while incremental images creation as well as while the restoration process.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. alert5

alert5 Registered Member

OK now I'm confused. I planned on 4300MB chunks for archiving to DVD+R for an entire disk image. What is the compatibilty issue prompting for 2000Mb instead?

8. Acronis Support

Hello alert5,

If you use two step method you may create image parts of any size you wish providing they fit in your DVD disk. When you create images to DVDs not storing them to hard disk first the image will be split into 2Gb parts. This is made because 2Gb is the maximum file size supported by ISO9660 and some burning applications do not allow you to burn bigger files. If you can burn 4Gb file to the DVD you may not split the image file into 2Gb parts.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. bwbeye

bwbeye Registered Member

So just to recap with a few more questions:

A) I can't create a complete image to my HDD and then have Nero auto split the image after creation while burning to DVD disc(s).

b) I can (using a two step method) specify the file size (lets say 4.7 GB) while creating my image, save to my HDD, and then burn to DVD disc(s) later.

C) I can format my DVD disc(s) in UDF (Nero's InCD or Roxio's DirectCD) and then set my DVD burner for the storage of the image, and I won't need to split the image manually because Acronis True Image will do it automatically.

D) I can create an incremental image to DVDs or CDs (how about DVD+RW's and CDRW's?) but I'll need to insert previous DVDs or CDs (appropriately noted, labeled, and marked) with the full image. I believe the incremental image will then be saved to my HDD?... to be copied to disc later?

And as I think I understand it... if I burn directly to DVD disc (not storing to my HDD 1st or using UDF) the file size will be (or may be) limited to 2GB due to an ISO9660 issue and/or a possible burning software issue limitation, and if I can burn 4GB to disc I won't be able to split the file later.

Sound about right?

Thank you all, very much!

10. Acronis Support

Hello bwbeye,

Your A, B and C statements are right while the D one needs to be corrected slightly. If you create the incremental image you will need to input the disk with the last incremental part. So the whole process looks like this:
    1. You create the full image on DVDs;
    2. You create the first incremental on DVD and first insert the disk with the last part of the full image;
    3. You create the second incremental to DVD and first insert the disk with the last part of the first incremental (not full) image;
    etc.

If you do in the way you described each time the incremental will be created to the full image (not to the last incremental) so it will take into account all the changes that were done after the full image was created.

The new incremental images can be stored either to hard disk first to be burned to DVD later or directly to DVDs (providing you still have the third-party UDF writing software).

If you burn to DVDs directly the file size will be limited by 2Gb but two files will be written to one disk.

The image file cannot be splitted once it is created independently of where it is stored.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

11. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi bwbeye,

In addition to the advice provided by Ilya, please allow me to comment as follows:

Correct.

If creating a split image in larger than 2000MB chunks you will need to burn them to DVD+/-R or RW as DVD-ROM (UDF) compilations. However, you'll need to choose something less than 4.7GB because some of the disk space will be required to burn the Lead In, Lead Out and Finalization information (see howie123's post/screenshot above about useable space).

Yes, but remember that, when preformatting with UDF packet writing software, you need to use DVD+/-RW disks. TI will then split the image into 2GB chunks to the DVD.

See Ilya's reply.

Yes. Also see reply to C) above.

Correct. You can't split an image file after it's been created (whether it's located on a hard drive or DVD).

Regards

12. bwbeye

bwbeye Registered Member

Cannot create or replace... the parameter is incorrect?

Using the 2 step method I created (using XP Pro NTFS) the larger 4.2GB .tib files (the .tib files were saved to another partition running Win2KPro FAT32) and was then able to copy them to an external HDD with no problem. When I tried to do the same in Win98SE (copy the .tib files to my external HDD) I received the following message: Cannot create or replace "the Acronis .tib file name" the file parameter is incorrect. I didn't have any problems before moving and/or copying the smaller 750MB size files. By the way, I run a triple boot system running Win98SE/Win2Kpro/WinXPpro. I assume this has something to do with file size restrictions or limitations in Win98SE?

Thank you!

13. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Re: Cannot create or replace... the parameter is incorrect?

Hello again bwbeye,

Not a Win98SE file size restriction but a limitation of Windows Explorer and the associated shell32.dll used to copy files. Microsoft Knowledge Base <Article #318293> provides a full explanation.

Regards

14. ratcheer

ratcheer Registered Member

This is an excellent thread, but it is making my head hurt. :)

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.