Can I /How do I restore on a new sytem?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by martin7, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martin7

martin7 Registered Member

I'm planning to build a new quad core system. Can restore backed up operating systems on new partitions in this new set up?
    M7

2. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Yes, that is new straight correct.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If you mean can you restore an existing backed up OS from a different machine to the new machine then the answer is a qualified yes. There will be driver issues and the need for a Windows repair as a minimum. If you have TI workstation and the optional Universal Restore then the job should be easier because that is its intended use.

Some of us prefer to do a new clean install with a new machine - good opportunity to get rid of the unused junk and clutter and you won't be wondering if some obscure problem is caused by force-fitting the old OS image.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

SeekForever is correct. It might work, but there's also a good chance that you won't be able to get the restored image to boot. If the drivers are too different, the system may not even boot into Safe Mode to allow you to install new drivers. In that case, a repair won't work either.

In such a case, reinstalling Windows XP as an "upgrade in place" will force a new hardware abstraction layer (HAL) to be generated, and allow you to install the necessary new drivers. Google "upgrade in place" for instructions. You will need a Windows XP installation CD - not just an OEM recovery CD.

The good news is that the upgrade in place does not destroy your data or uninstall your programs. They will be there after the reinstallation. The bad news is that you will have to install all the Windows updates again since they are lost. However, since Windows XP SP3 is out, that is now a much easier one step process.

5. martin7

martin7 Registered Member

Thanks everyone. I will investigate 'upgrade in place'. I'd happily start from scratch but I've used my xp installation so many times trying to set up a dual boot system, I have to jump through hoops to get it activated now. And, of course, I've got everything loaded in the images.
    m7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.