Can I have 2 firewalls?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Vantzos Kostas, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

@Robyn - Kerio 2.1.5 is free of bloat, and offers fine-tuned outbound control. Not so hot on the leaktests, which some may see as a drawback.

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Still I'm waiting on the day that outbound protection could be achieved with Hardware like we have decent inbound protection from routers .. I have a friend who has a router with good firewall capacities (allready being protected inbound) it was impressive but really stopping leaktests/injections ... I really hope this will get achieved one day ... updateable through firmware :D

Nvidia made an effort allready with their Nvidia Firewall and Active Armor (some kind of application firewall) .. but it's not really there yet imho.

3. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

@Meltdown thank you for this information.
    I had read about v2 of Kerio but always wondered if it did allow for outbound control.
    Good to know it is light - leaktests - wonder if it would affect given I have the inbound protection for the router?

I appreciate this advice if only software firewalls kept a light version for routers.

4. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

If you are going to use application control with a hardware firewall you have to log into your hardware every time you want to allow/block or at least every session if you want to minimize the log procedure. Sooner or later you going to get tired of this procedure. It´s a lot easier if you control you outbound traffic with a software firewall.

Regards, C.

5. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

why would that be? if I go online atm, I do not have to login everytime into my router setup? ... cause afaik, the logging can always be disabled in the general settings I believe..

outbound protection achieved from hardware will not require any memory usage ... it would be controled from within the cpu or controled from the router .. the resources would be nihil I guess...

6. Meltdown

@Robyn - Leaktests are ways of bypassing outbound filtering in software firewalls. You can find more information, and a discussion of their significance, if any, in this thread.

HTH

7. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thank you Meltdown the thread you have linked me to is very interesting and in some points reflects my own thoughts on the amount of security installed just because we 'think' we need it, in reality not understanding just how each application works.

I was just browsing again with Kerio v2 in mind as I do like the fact it can be used for outbound (still to find some rules and screenshots) but may be worthwhile considering as a test on my laptop. I am still reading the leaktest scenario and once again - reflective of my own thoughts in as much as I understand my way of browsing/downloading/permitting etc

Been back to Outpost forum and v3.5 is causing some concern with members one of which I note has gone back to Kerio v2
    I have Outpost installed and running but have not upgraded to any of the recent versions - it was a lovely firewall before the additives.
    Holding on to the version I have.

The leaktest thread + posts is helping me to clarify within my mind the bases of the firewall I need for control behind my router. I want to be safe but I also want to enjoy browsing without the security eating up resources and bombarding me with questions. I have been with multi layers and like the layered approach but now know there are limits which go beyond the actual enjoyment of browsing o_O

Information has been very useful, thanks. I think there are still a lot of Kerio v2 users today.
    I know I am 'comfortable' with my setup with Outpost at the moment as I know where to look etc it is just on a re-install I hope I would configure correctly if I do stay with OP (old version)

8. Meltdown

Yes, the irony is that it's easier to install security applications than it is to acquire an understanding of whether you really need them. Equally, obsessing over the horrors that malware can inflict tends to steal focus from the fact that a relatively modest degree of knowledge can go a long way towards keeping your computer clean.

If you want to look into Kerio 2.1.5, the Kerio forum at Broadband Reports is the place to go. It has a direct download link for the installer, and a ruleset to replace the default rules, plus plenty of posts where users submit their rules for analysis.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes, I dream alot about hardwares and softwares, I can't find on the internet, but one must cut one's coat according to one's cloth.
    In other words : "je moet roeien met de riemen die je hebt".
    (Niet gemakkelijk, die Engelse uitdrukkingen hé, die trekken nooit op onze uitdrukkingen.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.